CLUB SPORTS: Taking the ice

Karl Youngdahl, Right, and Nate Chrastil, two of the coaches for the womens hockey club, huddle up with their players Monday, Oct. 26, 2009, at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. All three of the coaches are college students. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Karl Youngdahl, Right, and Nate Chrastil, two of the coaches for the women’s hockey club, huddle up with their players Monday, Oct. 26, 2009, at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. All three of the coaches are college students. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Dan Tracy —

In a state that only has 14 male high school hockey teams, hockey doesn’t have the following that more popular sports such as football and wrestling do in Iowa. More important to the ISU Women’s Hockey Club team is there aren’t any high school girls’ hockey teams in Iowa. This has affected numbers over the past few season, and the team begins the 2009 season with only 13 girls on the team.

Thankfully, a group of Minnesotans along with some Iowa newcomers are lacing up their skates this season and will compete in the American Collegiate Hockey Association for the ninth year. 

The team is coached by a trio of ISU sophomores who all hail from hockey’s most popular state, Minnesota. Coach Karl Youngdahl is from Maple Grove, Minn., and assistants Nate Chrastil and Christian Fish are from Eagan and Plymouth, Minn., respectively. All three have played hockey since they were young and are beginning their second year of coaching the team.

“We really try and keep everything upbeat with the team so the girls are happy with what they’re doing,” Chrastil said.

Youngdahl enters his second semester as head coach of the team after taking over last year in his second semester at Iowa State.

“At first, it was pretty intimidating, but the [players] have made it easier,” Youngdahl said.

On a team that is primarily made up of upperclassmen, the coaching staff is faced with coaching players who are two to three years older than them.

“They have a lot more hockey experience, so we really have to listen to them if we want to get better,” player Laura Baseler said.

One of two seniors on this year’s team, goaltender Katie Faulds, has four years of experience with the club. Faulds has seen a different set of coaches in each of her four years, but has never had a coaching staff comprised of all younger guys.

“It’s in the back of our heads, but we all look up to them and respect them,” Faulds said.

With a team of only 13 girls, Faulds will be relied on heavily as the only goaltender.

“They [skaters] will get tired, so I have to learn to get better than I was the day before,” Faulds said.

The team plays in Division II of the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). The team has played in the ACHA since 2000. Last year, the Cyclones went 4–12–1, and they are hoping to build from last year and work toward a winning season.

“It’s fun for [coaches], it’s fun for [players]; overall it’s just a great time,” Fish said.

The team has a few newcomers this season, including fourth-year student Baseler. Last January, Baseler was convinced by some friends to play women’s intramural hockey because there were only four teams and more players were needed. Baseler, who had some skating experience, obliged and began to take a liking to the sport.

“It’s been different because it’s my first time with a stick, a puck and I’m not on figure skates,” Baseler said. “It’s been challenging, but it’s really fun.”

The season kicked off last weekend for the team with two losses at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. The Cyclones are hoping to bounce back this weekend in a two-game home series against South Dakota State.

“It will be really nice for us to get two wins,” Starr said.

The team will play South Dakota State at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena on Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 9:30 a.m. Youngdahl said the team always matches up well with the Jackrabbits and this weekend should be no different. Tickets for the games are $3 for children, $7 for ISU students and $10 for adults.