VOLLEYBALL: Cyclones to face tough Texas squad in Austin

Sophomore Deb Stadick blocks the ball while playing against Colorado on Wednesday, September 16, 2009, at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones won 3-0. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Shing Kai Chan

Kayci Woodley

In the four years since Christy Johnson-Lynch began her reign as the head coach of the ISU volleyball team, the Cyclones have established many memories against the Texas Longhorns. Johnson-Lynch most likely remembers recording her first Big 12 win at Iowa State in a stunning 3-1 victory over Texas in 2005. She may also remember the heartbreaking match in 2007 when the Cyclones fought back, but where outdone by the Longhorns after an opportunity for two match points in the fifth set. But, there is no doubt that Johnson-Lynch and the rest of the Cyclone volleyball squad remembers the last time Iowa State traveled to Austin, Texas.

The Cyclones had just upset No. 7 Oregon in the NCAA Regional Semifinal to advance to the Elite Eight for the first time in program history. The then No. 3 Longhorns ended that run for Iowa State in a 3-1 victory over the Cyclones in the regional final. The five freshmen on the Cyclone team this year may not realize the emphasis that Iowa State puts on the annual Texas game or the past experiences Iowa State has had with the Longhorns. But once they step into Gregory Gymnasium, the newcomers are sure to realize the importance of the matchup.

“We have a lot of younger players and newer players who don’t understand the Texas/Iowa State thing, but again we have a lot of us who are back and we want to win more than anything,” said senior setter Kaylee Manns.

With its highest ranking in school history, the No. 10 Cyclones will enter Gregory Gymnasium Friday night at 6:30 p.m. with quite possibly the most potential any Iowa State team has had before. In the history of the Cyclone volleyball program, an ISU squad has never won in Austin.

“I’m not going to lie, Friday night at Texas is going to be a really tough match,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I mean, they are number two and we’re on the road at their place in front of a pretty hostile crowd.”

Each year, Texas continues to climb the ladder of national rankings and this year is the highest the Longhorns have been ranked in the past four years of the matchups with the Cyclones. Aside from No. 9 Minnesota, the Cyclones have yet to face a true test of their ability.

“I’m so excited to play and we haven’t really played anyone at that level, so it’s going to be a great game,” Manns said.

Texas may not have the largest crowd in the Big 12, but the crowd of supporters will make their presence known. If the environment isn’t enough of an intimidation factor, Longhorn outside hitter Destinee Hooker will be. The 6-foot-4 All-American weapon leads Texas in kills this season, averaging 4.50 per set.

Hooker won’t be the only burden for Iowa State, as Longhorn setter Ashley Engle has posted several games with all-around efforts this season. The senior setter currently averages 8.95 assists, over 2.23 kills and 2.32 digs per set.

“They have a great team and they’re good every year,” said sophomore middle blocker Deb Stadick. “We’re just going to try to come ready to play and do the best we can.”

The ‘great team’ enters on a 6-0 record, with all wins coming from victories over ranked opponents.

“What I hope is that we can compete really hard down there, play well, and put ourselves in a position to win,” Johnson-Lynch said. “If we do that, I think that will say a lot about where our team is at and where we are ranked in the country.”