Learning about education at ‘History’

Nick Toussaint, from Drake, and Matt Oleson, from Drake, acts out thier play as a senior student during the History Boys rehearsal in Fisher Theater on Tuesday, August 25, 2009. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

David Wise

After a number of years of talking and hoping for a collaboration, ISU Theatre and the Des Moines-based Stage West Theater Company have finally come together for a production.

With a cast assembled and a number of successful shows already behind them, “The History Boys” will perform three shows at Fisher Theater.

“The History Boys” originally was part of Stage West’s season back last June, and because there were so many positive reasons to bring the show to Ames, the two decided jump on the idea.

“The biggest reason is there was already so much Iowa State involvement in the production with me as the director, and six of the actors are here from Iowa State,” director of the show and assistant professor of music Brad Dell said,. “Also, I think the subject matter, being a play in a lot of ways, about education, being an educator and being a student, just seemed to be a perfect play to open a college semester with.”

In addition to eight previous shows, “The History Boys” was one of the largest attended two-week performances ever for Stage West and is considered by some people a remarkable performance. Some may attribute this to the solo vocal performances, others may say it’s the comedy.

For Gary Roberts, who portrays literature professor Hector in the play, it’s “the themes that the play suggests.”

“I just think that all of the themes are so relevant to education, you know — what is education?” he said.

“What’s the purpose of education? How do teachers relate to students? How do students lean? And I think it’s all very good in that aspect, and then the characters are so three-dimensional. They’re very real.”

But previous success aside, bringing the show to Ames consisted of some changes in the performance itself.

In the Des Moines performances, the performers on stage were surrounded on all three sides.

In Ames, they only have one side.

To accommodate for this, they had to change the location the performers would stand and move on stage.

In addition, the distance from the audience to the performers is much shorter than their previous performances.

To adjust to this, the performers plan to speak their parts much louder.

“The History Boys” will perform weekend.

“The History Boys”

ISU Theatre presents a Stage West production:

Eight teenage boys prepare to apply for Oxford and Cambridge to study history. They prepare under the guidance of three teachers with contrasting teaching styles. One believes preparing for life is better than preparing for an entrance exam; another feels that facts are the best foundation; the third thinks that getting the attention of the examiners is the most effective.

“The History Boys” won multiple awards, including a Tony Award for Best Play, New York Drama Critics’ Circle Best Play and Drama Desk Award for Best New Play.

—from ISU Theatre Web site

Showtimes

When: Friday and Saturday: 7:30 p.m.

Sunday: 2 p.m.

Where: Fisher Theater

Cost: ISU students $8, adults $15, seniors $13

Tickets are available at through Ticketmaster