COMMENTARY: Brackins’ future as a Cyclone remains a mystery

Iowa State sophomore forward Craig Brackins dunks during the game playing against Mississippi Valley State at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday, Nov. 29, 2008. Brackins has until April 26 to decide if he will enter the 2009 NBA Draft. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Shing Kai Chan

Chris Cuellar

If a campus had an equivalent to “water-cooler talk,” the discussion circling Craig Brackins would be the cause of a wastebasket overflowing with paper cups.

Students at Iowa State, ESPN draft analysts and basketball coverage Web sites all have different ideas about what decision Brackins will make about utilizing his talents at the next level.

After two very contrasting seasons at Iowa State, and at only 21 years of age, the lanky power forward who wears No. 21 in cardinal and gold hasn’t made a clear decision one way or the other on his plans, at least publicly — and with the athletic department taking control of all news releases, none have been produced.

For college underclassmen and international players under 22, NBA draft declaration deadline is April 26, with the actual draft being June 25.

The two months between are used for workouts, the NBA combine and scrimmaging against other draft prospects.

A well-known philosophy in draft circles is to enter for the draft but not hire an agent, thus preserving college eligibility if by June the player decides that particular year’s draft isn’t the right time to abandon a degree with one more year of university sweatshirts and big-man-on-campus swagger.

By all accounts, this year’s draft class is considered weak.

For Craig Brackins, this makes his decision all the more difficult.

Meanwhile, antagonizing countless Cyclone fans hoping that their leading scorer and rebounder returns for another season of Hilton Magic.

Since Iowa State didn’t get an NCAA tournament bid, this year’s Big 12 schedule will be the strongest film basis for NBA scouts to scrutinize.

That may be enough, as he was a Big 12 First-Teamer on a squad that went 4-12 in conference play.

There is room for skyrocketing growth in leadership and physicality on a team that should be more competitive next season.

On the other hand, Brackins’ draft status may not look any better than it does this month if next season’s draft class is better then this year’s.

Brackins has stated adamantly that he takes his academics seriously, but with possible millions of dollars waiting less than three months from now, will a degree in speech communication be enough to keep him walking around Central Campus for another year?

What shouldn’t be lost in all the floating money is the fact that Brackins has his own idea of his college experience.

He has his own idea of what he has enjoyed or is willing to return for, and if it means enough, his decision may shock more than a few Iowa media members who believe Brackins leaving Iowa State this year is as certain as death and taxes.

With less than 20 days left to decide the immediate future, along with his coaches and support, Brackins can analyze all the available information and hopefully take a look at what the honest prospects are for his professional career.

Chris Cuellar is a sophomore in journalism and mass communication from Eldridge