WICKSTROM: Opinion section aims to attract, interest students

Jordan Wickstrom

Do you remember when you were a little kid, when Mom and Dad would talk about “grown-up” stuff in front of you and you had no idea what they were talking about? Do you remember how much that frustrated you?

Jump ahead about 15 years — you’re a student at Iowa State, an adult. By now, you probably know which political party you would like to be affiliated with, what career you want to pursue and maybe even who you want to marry.

The point is, now you can take part in those conversations and understand what people are talking about. You have your own opinion. The opinion section of the Iowa State Daily is staffed by students. We are people like you, in your age range. We’re not trying to dazzle anyone with our brilliance, we’re just trying to give you the best possible variety of topics you will find in an opinion section.

Most of the more adult-oriented papers have opinion sections that discuss different areas in the political, economic and business scenes. Although this may interest a great many of you, I have found that they rarely talk about anything else and, for that matter, have a hard time connecting to a wide range of people.

Hopefully you will find something that interests you. If you want to hear what somebody has to say about President Obama or hear what people really think about Trapt being the headliner at Veishea, then we’re the place to go.

All in all, our section is very diverse. We continually try to give you the best possible product we can. Once again, this paper is run by students, for students — you guys are our primary target readers. So when you’re looking for a diverse range of topics written by your fellow students, turn to us.

Besides, what else are you going to do? Read the Ames Tribune?

— Jordan Wickstrom is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Beresford, S.D.