Record revival

Katie Coffin, junior in graphic design, throws on a Bob Dylan album, Tuesday, February 3, 2009, at Frederiksen Court. Coffin started her collection in her senior year of high school, with some of her favorites being Wilco, Bob Dylan, and Devendra Banhart. She still has a collection of CDs, but prefers the sound quality of the records over anything else. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Emily Bishop —

Katie Coffin, junior in graphic design, relaxes to music from her headphones. But an MP3 player isn’t the source of her music — it’s a record player.

Despite the popularity of MP3 players, some students prefer listening to vinyl records.

Coffin’s love of records began her sophomore year of high school, after she listened to her parents’ collection of old records, including Crosby, Stills & Nash and Fleetwood Mac. Toward the end of high school, Coffin, who is a fan of “indie and folksy music” started her own record collection after receiving a record player as a gift from a then-boyfriend. The first record she bought was The Beatles’ “Abbey Road.” Coffin said her collection of approximately 100 records includes a mix of old and new, such as The Shins and The Decemberists.

Coffin said records give her a sense of involvement with the music, compared to only touching a button when using an iPod.

“There’s something really satisfying about putting it on and flipping it,” Coffin said of playing a record.

The sound is another reason Coffin prefers records.

“It has kind of a warmer tone to it,” Coffin said, “It sounds richer and fuller — a digital file ends up sounding flat a lot.”

Although Coffin does listen to downloadable music, it’s not her first choice.

“The sound quality is so much better than a digital file,” Coffin said of records.

David Stuart, professor of music, said the difference in sound between records and CDs is subjective.

Stuart said some people hear differences in sound between vinyl and CDs.

“The CD is brighter, it’s hotter,” Stuart said. “The vinyl sounds warmer.”

Stuart said it ultimately depends on personal choice whether one prefers a CD or record.

“We can argue forever in a day from a subjective perspective,” Stuart said. “But the bottom line is how does it sound to us and what do we like.”

Parker Griggs, vocalist and guitarist of the Story City-based band Radio Moscow, is a “big fan of vinyl.” The band’s latest album was released on vinyl as well as CD.

“I’ve got a lot of old ‘60s and ‘70s records,” Griggs said.

Growing up, Griggs listened to his father’s old records, such as Peter Green’s Black Magic Woman and ’60s and ’70s blues.

“He’s a big vinyl nerd himself,” Griggs said of his dad.

The sound is one reason Griggs prefers listening to records over downloadable music and CDs. The sound is “more real,” he said.

“I think there is a little tone difference,” Griggs said,

Although Coffin prefers to listen to music on a record player, she still buys and listens to music on an MP3 player. Carrying a record player around campus would be impossible, and Coffin said “it’s kind of a hassle” to bring her record player back to school when returning from home.

Griggs, too, prefers vinyl to downloadable music like iTunes, but he listens to his iPod on the road during tours.

“It’s pretty much impossible to travel with records and listen to them,” Griggs said.

Coffin searches for records at rummage sales, antique stores and at Zzz, a record store in Des Moines. She said records at rummage sales and antique stores range from 50 cents to $1.50 each, and a rare record can cost as much as $60. New records cost about $12 to $15, and used records cost about $5, Coffin said.

During various tour stops, Griggs visits different record stores in search of records to add to his collection.

Coffin said she’s noticed popularity of records — many of her friends listen to records. Perhaps a rarity, three of her roommates own record players.

“I think they’re starting to print more [records] than they used to,” Coffin said.

Since more records are available, Coffin said it’s easier to find what she’s looking for. Records usually include certificates for digital downloads on computers, Coffin said, “to encourage people to buy vinyl.” But she can’t buy all her music in record form because it would be too costly.

“I really like to own my own music,” Coffin said. “I’m definitely committed to my music.”

Vinyl essentials

A receiver, headphones and speakers are basics if you own a record player, said Katie Coffin, junior in graphic design. Caution must also be taken when taking the record on and off because a scratch can cause the record to skip. A cleaner can be used to clean the records, Coffin said, though she doesn’t do this because of her “financial status.”

Radio Moscow and Vinyl

Radio Moscow released its last album on compact disc as well as vinyl.

Records were pressed in different colors, said Parker Griggs, vocalist and guitarist for the band, such as see-though green and marbled yellow. This way fans can collect the different colors, he said.

Although records are “more expensive to print up,” Griggs said, “We’ve had a lot of people who’d rather have vinyl over CDs.”

Griggs said the album “sold a decent amount of vinyl, but twice the amount of CDs.”

Radio Moscow’s new album, “Brain Cycles,” coming out in April, will be available on vinyl and CD.

“If you buy the vinyl, you get an unreleased track with it,” Griggs said.

Artwork on vinyl is another aspect of records Griggs likes.

“Our art is designed for vinyl and formatted to CD,” Griggs said. “You get the artwork a lot bigger.”

This could be a reason people are turning to vinyl, he said.

“Maybe more people are getting into vinyl more for the art,” Griggs said, of consequences of CDs not being as popular because of downloadable music.

Places to find records

Firehouse Books

405 Kellogg Ave.

(515) 232-6609

Goodwill Industries

3718 Lincoln Way

(515) 292-8454

Salvation Army

207 S. Duff Ave.

(515) 233-1047

Zzz Records

2200 Ingersoll Ave.

Des Moines, IA 50312

(515) 284-1401