Anatomy instructor leaves after spending 45 years educating ISU students

Nani Ghoshal, professor in biomedical sciences, retired on Wednesday after working at Iowa State for 45 years since 1963. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Shing Kai Chan

Virginia Zantow —

Iowa State has existed for 150 years, and Nani Ghoshal educated students here nearly one third of that time.

Ghoshal, professor of biomedical sciences, taught ISU College of Veterinary Medicine students for 45 years. He officially retired from Iowa State on Wednesday.

Teaching became such an important, enjoyable part of his life, however, that Ghoshal said he does not want to leave it behind completely.

“After 45 years, it’s hard to stay away from students,” Ghoshal said. “It becomes second nature after all these years.”

Ghoshal said he told the dean of the veterinary medicine administration, John Thomson, that he would like to come back to Iowa State whenever he was needed. He said all he would need is a key so he could get in the building.

Ghoshal actually taught Thomson when he was a veterinary student; he also taught the dean’s son.

“I’ve taught over 5,000 students, so, in almost every county I find a former student. It’s a great feeling,” Ghoshal said, referring to the ISU alumni scattered throughout Iowa.

Ghoshal was not the only one benefiting from his teaching, either — many of his students have enjoyed his quirky personality, wealth of knowledge and patience in explaining concepts.

In 2006, he received the Veishea award for best professor of the year.

Ghoshal taught freshman anatomy to veterinary students, as well as other anatomy courses. Since he taught  such foundational courses, students got to know him very quickly.

“Everybody knows him,” said Magda Rosol, junior in veterinary medicine. “He’s a great teacher — he always wants to see how you’re doing.”

Rosol paused as she tried to find the right word to describe Ghoshal.

“I think he’s a legend, don’t you think?” she asked fellow student, Matt O’Neil, sophomore in veterinary medicine.

“I’d call him a legend,” O’Neil said. “He has former students everywhere.”

O’Neil, originally from North Dakota, heard about Ghoshal before coming to Iowa State.

Then, when O’Neil came here and took a tour of the veterinary school, he and the others touring ran into an outgoing professor who “jumped up and shook everyone’s hand.” O’Neil said he knew it was Ghoshal, the professor he heard so much about.

“He is a very nice guy,” Rosol said. “He will talk your ear off. He is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met.”

Rosol said Ghoshal has a habit of quoting parts of veterinary textbooks by exact location during conversations. O’Neil said Ghoshal can usually tell you where the book is in the library — even which aisle to go down to find it.

Rosol said Ghoshal’s number one priority always appeared to be making sure students understand the material. He would explain concepts until he was sure the student knew them, she said.

Sometimes, he would even go on tangents about where the words come from — what the root is, what it means and what language it comes from. Rosol said this helps with memorizing the many terms in anatomy.

O’Neil said Ghoshal’s tangents were not always as relevant to the subject at hand, but they can be very entertaining nonetheless, which made coming to class more interesting.

Once, O’Neil said, he went in to see Ghoshal with a question for an upcoming test, and by the time he left, the two were talking about “pirates on the high seas.” O’Neil laughed as he remembered the conversation.

Rosol said a student once sold T-shirts reading “Got Ghosh?” to enthusiastic peers who had enjoyed Ghoshal’s classes. The Nani Ghoshal Fan Club on Facebook currently has 124 members, approximately the size of a typical graduating class in the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Working with people has become a driving force in Ghoshal’s life. It may come as no surprise to discover that Ghoshal originally had wanted to become a medical doctor. The story of his path to become a veterinarian begins in India.

Ghoshal was born in India, but in an area that soon became East Pakistan after the British occupation ended. The area is now Bangladesh. But his family emigrated to India, and in doing so, lost their family business. His father was a chemist and druggist, Ghoshal said.

Ghoshal noticed as he grew older that his other siblings went on to higher studies, and that was “financially strapping” his parents.

This brought Ghoshal to the decision to become a veterinarian instead of a medical doctor, as he originally had intended. The path to become a medical doctor was more expensive.

Ghoshal earned scholarships every year as a veterinary student and was able to achieve a great deal without causing his parents to spend more than they could afford.

He also took graduate studies in Germany and Scotland before he came to the United States.

Since he’s been at Iowa State, Ghoshal said he always keeps in mind the possibility that his research could benefit medical research.

“I always try to advance my profession,” Ghoshal said. Ghoshal ‘s passion for  teaching will not be forgotten by the st udents who knew him best.