Art exhibit brings exposure to students’ work

Bethany Johnson’s “Belt” is on display during the 29th Art and Design Annual Juried Student Competition Exhibition. The piece broke in thin areas before it could be fired the first time, and had to be re-done. Photo: Manfred Strait/Iowa State Daily

David Wise

Beyond the aesthetic value of artwork is the amount of time and effort it requires to create.

Students have put in many long hours of work to get their pieces ready for the 29th Art and Design Annual Juried Student Competition Exhibition.

However, for other students it’s been a more challenging path. Bethany Johnson, sophomore in integrated studio arts, said she’s had to overcome difficulties with her accepted piece, titled “Belt.”

“Halfway through I had gotten it finished, and it was ready to be fired, and it broke,” Johnson said. “It broke because there were some pieces that were pretty thin and that was kind of disappointing. I actually had to start over with the belt piece. I was pretty excited when I got my piece accepted, though.”

Gallery 181 of the Design Building is currently displaying students’ work accepted in the competition, with pieces ranging from graphic design to ceramics can to paintings and metal pieces.

Brian Boeding, junior in integrated studio arts, has a piece on display titled “Guitar Box” that he described in an e-mail as a metal box inspired by the look and sound of a guitar. The piece is constructed out of brass, rosewood and acrylic.

When he learned that his piece had been accepted, Boeding said it was a feeling of accomplishment because it’s appreciated by other people.

Kelsey Baldwin, junior in integrated studio arts, created a ceramics piece titled “Containment Of” that is a ceramic container consisting of geometric shapes and dark, thick lines. She said she also enjoys seeing her peers’ work.

“I just like to see all the student work,” Baldwin said. “It’s fun to see what got in, and a lot of the people that go in are classmates, and so it’s nice to see that they’re all getting stuff into the show as well.”

The exhibition received 155 submissions of artwork from 100 students; 73 pieces from 65 students were accepted. Judges presented the awards on Nov. 11 at the exhibition opening and awards reception with Bridget Miller, junior in graphic design, winning first place in “Best of Show,” and Brian Lee Dreesman, senior in integrated studio arts, coming in second. Nine awards were given out in total.

Dreesman’s piece, “Displaying the Ordinary,” began as a class project.

“It was just an assignment for class that I was working on a while after it was due, putting extra detail on it, so I figured this would be an opportunity to get it seen,” Dreesman said. “I really wasn’t expecting anything — I just entered it. It actually got second. It was nice.”

Art on display

What: 29th Art and Design Annual Juried Student Exhibition

Where: Gallery 181 of the Design Building

When: Through Dec. 3

Note: For more information visit www.design.iastate.edu.