‘Twilight’ hypnotizes readers

Dawn Noble, freshman in open option, first started reading the Twilight series in July, at the advice of a friend of hers. Within a month, shed read the entire series and now awaits the midnight showing of film adaptation. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Dawn Noble, freshman in open option, first started reading the Twilight series in July, at the advice of a friend of hers. Within a month, she’d read the entire series and now awaits the midnight showing of film adaptation. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Allison Clarke

Just like Romeo and Juliet before them, Bella Swan and Edward Cullen have the kind of tragically forbidden love best conveyed through literature.

It’s “not the same old love story at all,” said Dawn Knoble, freshman in liberal arts and sciences open option.

Although Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight” could be compared to Shakespeare’s famous love story, the kind of relationship the two main characters have is far from conventional. An everyday Jane Doe from Arizona and a breathtakingly beautiful and talented vampire come together in one of the most-talked-about books and movies of the year.

“I really like the intensity of it,” said Kanya Nanne, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production.

That seems to be one of the main reasons for the immense popularity of the four-part series. Not only is the book an unadulterated romance, it is also an adventure with intrigue and some extreme violence.

Another aspect of the book that has readers hooked is how lifelike the characters are.

“The protagonist is really well developed. You can really enjoy her character,” said Donna Niday, associate professor of English. She, like many other fans of the series, thought the book was very well written.

“I love Edward, just like everyone else in the world,” Knoble said.

With all of the hype surrounding the novel and midnight showing of the new movie Friday, people have started comparing it to the ever-popular “Harry Potter” series.

“This one is more faddish,” Niday said.

Despite her enjoyment of the book, she thought the themes in Harry Potter were more universal, especially in the aspects of good versus evil and questions of identity.

For “Twilight,” however, it’s more about the relationship between Bella and Edward. A different comparison was given by Nanne.

“I liked that it was as popular as ‘Harry Potter,’ but for an older generation,” she said.

With those who grew up reading about “the boy who lived,” Meyer’s book has definitely made a name for itself.

“There is no reason not to read this book,” Knoble said. Regardless of the prevalently “illicit love affair,” “Twilight” and its sequels, “tend to be page-turners” with all kinds of twists and turns and shockingly dramatic situations that will have you on the edge of your seat.

“It’s the most thrilling book I’ve ever read,” Nanne said.

A look at the “Twilight” series:

“Twilight”

Bella Swan moves from Phoenix to Forks, Wash. — a town known for having the most rainfall in the U.S. — to live with her father. Bella becomes intrigued by her stand-offish lab partner, Edward Cullen, and his eclectic and stunningly beautiful family.

“New Moon”

Bella becomes depressed when Edward leaves town in a self-sacrificing move to protect her mortal life. In Edward’s absence, she grows close to Jacob Black — but he has a secret he’s loathe to share with her.

“Eclipse”

An army of newborn vampires is plaguing Seattle, and the Cullens’ secret is in danger of coming into the light. Meanwhile, Bella must choose between her relationships with Edward and Jacob.

“Breaking Dawn”

While on her extended honeymoon, Bella realizes she is pregnant. Both Jacob and Edward are concerned about the toll carrying the child could take on her wellbeing — plus the threat of flaunting an ancient code if her child is born.