Former Ames student”Movin’” on to bigger things

Movin Out Tour

Joan Marcus

Movin Out Tour

David Wise

Ames High school graduate Marc Heitzman returns to town Thursday for the role of Eddie in the Billy Joel musical “Movin’ Out.” Although this will be his first professional debut, he’s no stranger to the stage.

Since the age of four, Heitzman has been dancing and performing in the annual local production of “The Nutcracker Ballet” — for the past five years he played the lead role.

Heitzman started dancing because of his older sister’s influence — when he was younger, he stuck with it because of her. Marc’s mother, Jill Heitzman, explained his interest in dancing.

“He was sitting in the audience and he was four years old and watching his sister at a dance recital. He saw boys on the dance floor,” Jill said. “He looked up at me and said, ‘There are boys up there. Boys dance?’ … ‘Can I dance?’ And I said ‘yes if you want to.’ … he said, ‘I think I want to.’”

After graduating from Ames High School last year, his mind was set on attending Oklahoma City University this fall.

However, while in New York City, Marc auditioned for the part of Eddie in “Movin’ Out” — and got it. At first, he didn’t take it because of his plans to attend school, but he eventually warmed up to the idea.

In the production, his character is a man who is envied by other men and desired by women. Eddie and five friends go to Vietnam and return to a life of drugs and alcohol. He then tries to redeem himself.

In relation to Eddie, Marc said he shares personality traits but also has differences.

“This guy is the athletic jock and I went through school playing football and soccer,” Marc said. “My personality and my character’s personality are fairly parallel. However, he gets so caught up into drugs and alcohol throughout the show, and obviously, I’m 18 years old and that’s not me.”

The show includes dancing, and although he’s been doing it since age four, he still has to stay in shape and warm up before rehearsals to perform the role well. Rehearsals are from noon to 10:30 p.m. every day except Monday.

“In this show, there’s a lot of lifting the guys and the girls. It’s a very demanding show physically,” Marc said. “We usually warm up about 45 minutes before rehearsal, starting with ballet and then start going into some of the bigger jumps and turns you do throughout the show.”

Because of Marc’s athletic past, he said this isn’t a problem for him.

Chad Zmolek, soccer coach and teacher at Ames High School, said Marc “is the definition of the All-American kid.”

“He is the most exceptionally talented and dynamic student-athlete I’ve come across,” Zmolek said. “His focus, effort, activities and leadership on and off the field are high class — always. I don’t know how he does it, but he has an engine that won’t quit.”

Marc said the biggest stunt he does is in this performance is called “The Eddie Tosses,” which consists of five men tossing him in the air. It’s not too difficult, but he said he has to be careful because something could easily go wrong.

Marc has been acting since middle school. His resume includes three high school musicals, yearly dance recitals and a showcase for his competition dance team every year since the seventh grade.

Steve Linn, choir director at Ames High School, was impressed how Heitzman juggled all of his activities in high school.

“It was amazing to me that Marc excelled in so many different areas during his high school career,” Linn said. “Along with all his multiple talents, he will be remembered just as much for his outstanding character.”

Marc hopes to dance on Broadway some day and loves the fact he is getting paid to do what he loves to do.

“The thing that makes this performance great is there is a live band and they’re very good,” Marc said. “There’s top quality dancing and it’s very upbeat with a solid story line.”

Showtime for “Movin’ Out”

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday

Where: Stephens Auditorium

Cost: $20 for ISU students, $43-47 for adults, $25 for youth

For more information go to www.center.iastate.edu.