Ten years of Living Green finale celebration to be hosted Thursday

Volunteers gather at College Creek to help the Live Green! initiative and Keep Iowa State Beautiful with taking out the garbage that is in and around the creek. “We had over 50 volunteers sign up and pretty much everyone showed up and even more joined later,” said Paige Myers. Myers recently graduated from Iowa State and is sticking around during the summer to help with projects such as the creek cleanup.

Annelise Wells

This year, Iowa State’s Live Green! Initiative celebrates it’s 10 year anniversary, and will be wrapping up the year with a celebration that also honors earth month.

The event will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the South library lawn so students and faculty can stop by between classes.

“The event will feature campus and community organizations who support sustainability through events and initiatives; free fruit-infused water and festive nibbles from ISU Dining; and sustainability-minded giveaways – earned through visiting the displays of participating organizations,” according to the Iowa State Events page.

The event will also have a variety of earth related activities, including yard games, bike and longboard tune-ups, according to the Events Page.

According to the Live Green! Website, attending organizations include Ames Climate Action Team, Ames Smart Business Challenge, Be The Match On Campus, Cafe El Zapote, Climate Reality Project Campus Corps, Dance Marathon, Engineers for a Sustainable World, Global Resource Systems Globe Ambassadors, ISU Recycling, Marketing Club, Oxfam America Club, Outdoor Recreation Program, Renewable Energy Group, SHOP Student Food Pantry, Volunteer Center of Story County and the Wheatsfield Cooperative.

Live Green! has hosted sustainability themed events all school-year long to help promote thinking green on Iowa State’s campus. More information on the Live Green! initiative can be found on their website.