Octagon Arts brings food, activities

Photo: Lesly Saeger/Iowa State DailyLonnie Carters, of Des Moines, Iowa, paintings were on display Sunday at the Octagon Art Festival. The festival started at 10 am and lasted until 5 pm.

Doug Wells

Photo: Lesly Saeger/Iowa State DailyLonnie Carter’s, of Des Moines, Iowa, paintings were on display Sunday at the Octagon Art Festival. The festival started at 10 am and lasted until 5 pm.

Kristin Wheater

Eat up the local flavor of Ames at the Octagon Arts Festival on Sunday.

Local music and entertainment, cuisine and a variety of work from artists of different mediums will line the streets in the Main Street Cultural District from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The 38th annual festival is a free event with a variety of activities that, in 2007, attracted more than 14,000 guests.

There will be more than 115 artists from across the state and other surrounding areas. The festival features artwork by students and guest artists, who will feature their art; those attending will be able to buy hand-crafted pieces of art.

There will also be booths where guests of the event can participate in creating art of their own, such as pottery and jewelry.

Students can also expect to be entertained by local live music and other performances on two stages, including a performance by Orchesis I, an ISU dance company. Jazz pair Michael Giles and Ed Kaizer will perform on the Tom Evans Park Stage, followed by folk music duo Patchouli, Egyptian belly dancers and a blues group, Trouble No More.

For those with empty stomachs, there will also be food from local restaurants and vendors.

“The festival is a fantastic opportunity for ISU students to experience one of the finest annual events to take place in Ames,” said Mark Peterson, president of the Octagon Board of Trustees.

The Octagon Arts Festival is also a volunteer opportunity for groups on campus. Three groups plan on volunteering during the Octagon Arts Festival: Circle K, Delta Zeta and Delta Lambda Phi.

“We’ve helped out with the Octagon Arts Festival for three years,” said Tom Vance, Delta Lambda Phi service director and senior in journalism and mass communication. “The festival needs many volunteers on the day of the event, and I know it’s a relief for the organizers when our entire organization can help out and fill a number of jobs for them.”

Octagon Arts Festival

When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday

Where: Main Street Culture District, downtown Ames

Cost: Free