Defense crucial in opener at Illinois

Nate Sandell

After three weeks of grueling practices, the ISU women’s soccer team is ready to get the season under way.

“We’re extremely excited to play different people. It’s boring just playing against your own team,” said junior Elise Reid.

The Cyclones open the season on the road at the Illini Challenge Cup taking on the host team Illinois. The 18th-ranked Illini are expected to contend for the Big Ten title. Illinois opened the season last weekend with an overtime victory against the then-No. 22 Missouri Tigers.

Head coach Wendy Dillinger, who will be making her debut as a Cyclone, said the team must keep pace with the Illini from the start.

“We’re just looking to come out and go toe-to-toe with them from the opening whistle,” said Dillinger. “They’re physical, fast and attack quickly, so we have to do a good job defensively.”

In order to do this, the Cyclones will turn to their back four defenders, led by co-captain Lauren Fader and junior Adrianna O’Neill, to stifle the Illinois attack.

Working with the back four has been a major focus for the Cyclones in the preseason. Dillinger said the group is playing well, but still has areas to work on.

“They are starting to play as a cohesive unit. The one thing we need to work on is recognition of danger when the ball can go over the top. Overall their shape and movement I feel are connected,” Dillinger said.

Joining Fader and O’Neill on defense will be freshman standouts Mary Kate McLaughlin and Emily Hejlik.

“Both are solid players. They don’t play like freshmen. They both play well beyond their years,” said Dilinger. “Emily is a great defender. She plays on the flank and she can also attack, which is a nice bonus. Mary Kate is a solid physical presence. She’s smart and composed.”

Heading up the offense will be Reid and sophomore Jordan Bishop. Last season, Reid and Bishop combined to score nine goals and finished 1-2 on the team in scoring.

Dillinger said the offense needs to keep an up-tempo offensive strategy to help counteract the strengths of Illinois.

“We need to be attacking quickly, using our speed up top, and our ability to combine to get behind and score goals,” she said.

The Cyclones expect to rotate players through the offense, as the team attempts to find the right combination.

The offense will contend with an Illini defense that might be without their top defender. Junior captain Emily Zurrer, one of the top defenders in the country, participated in the 2008 Beijing Olympics as a member of the Canadian national team. Dillinger said it is unclear whether or not Zurrer will be back for the game.  

Injuries continue to be a problem for the Cyclones. Coming off surgery in the off-season, co-captain Casey Bothwell is not expected to play this weekend. Dillinger said Bothwell has practiced with the team, but has not been put into contact drills. Junior midfielder Tori Johnson, who is still recovering from a nagging injury, will be a game time decision on Friday. Out for the season is freshman Krista Long, who suffered a broken leg last week.

Depending on the outcome of the Illini game, the Cyclones will play either Dayton or Pittsburgh on Sunday.

With Iowa State facing a pair of challenging opening games, Fader said it is important for the team to set the tone for the season.

“We need to come out of the first weekend with two wins,” Fader said. “We need to start off as strong as we can. Hopefully we will be able to perform well.”