2nd assistant dean candidate presents platform at forum

Ross Boettcher

If Michael Benitez didn’t know the detailed issues facing the Multicultural Student Affairs Office at Iowa State before Friday, he does now.

Benitez, who currently serves as the dean of intercultural development and director of the David A. Portlock Black Cultural Center at Lafayette College in Easton, Penn., is the second of four candidates interviewing for the position of director of MSA and assistant dean of students.

After introducing his platform on multiculturalism and its integration into higher education, Benitez used the majority of his one-hour open forum on Friday afternoon to obtain a feeling for the important issues facing multiculturalism at Iowa State.

When it came time for Benitez to field questions from the audience, Frank Bell, program coordinator for the Institute for Physical Research and Technology, brought up a reoccurring issue in the MSA office – stability.

“Around here, we chase stats. We pull up the carrots and . we get baby carrots,” Bell said. “We need to know who the go-to person is and who can be counted on in the clutch.”

Benitez simply absorbed Bell’s statement and took note while moving to the next question.

Later in the forum, Bell pointed out a personality trait Benitez could adopt to be successful in the state of Iowa. Bell said the usage of what he called a “pioneer spirit” may help overcome the differences between Iowa and other, larger metropolitan areas.

“If you’re a consumer, this isn’t the place,” Bell said. “If you have a pioneer spirit and are willing to build something here, it’s a fantastic place. If you have a pioneer spirit, you can make it.”

Later in the session, Benitez spoke about the addition of special programs and the subtle stereotypes that come along with them.

He said that, instead of labeling programs for multicultural students as special, the programs should be considered in the same light as all university programs. Better yet, he said, would be an increased focus on the philosophical issues with multicultural student success, instead of just the addition of student programs.

Bell asked what programs Benitez would bring to Iowa State to encourage multicultural students to adopt a “yes I can” attitude when it comes to achievements in the classroom and graduation.

Citing the usage of progressive, grassroots solutions as the best methods, Benitez said that for all students to be seen in the same light, “we have to realize the beauty of multiculturalism.”

Benitez said the solutions for gaining equality are best addressed in a contextual, philosophical manner.

“There’s really no particular program – it’s really about the philosophical vision behind it,” Benitez said. “In this case, it’s cultural validation – once you begin to understand that, you can begin to develop programs in relation to that context.”

The candidate followed up with a bit of honesty.

“Is it doable? Absolutely,” Benitez said about the potential for Iowa State to turn things around. “It’s all about action and being able to address the problems.”