Gymnastics leaders found in freshmen

Corey Aldritt

By Corey Aldritt

Daily Staff Writer

Despite their losing record, the ISU gymnasts have shown huge improvements as the season has rolled along. In doing so, Iowa State has relied almost entirely on the backs of its sophomore and junior classes.

The Cyclones’ lone senior, Kristy Bellinger, is an alternate performer on the uneven bars, and all three freshmen have been kept from competitions because of injuries.

“If we think about it, we have the team we had from last year, minus four seniors that graduated and minus the incoming freshmen class,” said coach Jay Ronayne.

The lack of depth and experience has been tough to overcome for the Cyclones in 2008, but it has also allowed a handful of gymnasts to have break-through years.

The most consistent Cyclone of the season has been sophomore Nikki Dilbert. She is one of two ISU all-around performers, and she has competed in every event of every match this season.

In most cases a team’s most confident and polished gymnast will perform last in each rotation. Dilbert is often used as the final participant in the floor exercise routine and on the vault.

Dilbert said she doesn’t feel any added pressure from going last for her team.

“I like to go out there and have fun, and it’s a lot nicer when everybody hits in front of me and then I can really just go out there and have fun with it,” Dilbert said.

Halfway through her freshman year, Dilbert was given the chance to compete as an all-around performer, and she hasn’t given back the reigns yet. Luckily for the Cyclones, Dilbert put the sophomore slump theory to rest as she has set a career high in every single event this season.

Her finest day as a Cyclone came against Stanford, when she posted a gaudy 39.325. The sophomore from Champlin, Minn., set career marks on the floor exercise and bars that day.

Ronayne said he is thrilled with the way Dilbert has performed this year and how she has improved from her freshman year.

Dilbert ranks fourth in the Big 12 in average score in the all-around competition.

If Dilbert is Iowa State’s peanut butter, then Jasmine Thompson is the jelly. Thompson has put together a solid junior season and is Iowa State’s other all-around gymnast.

The junior from McDonald, Ohio, has been at her best above the mat. She has been the most consistent Cyclone on the uneven bars and on the balance beam. Her high scores of 9.875 are a team best on both.

Thompson also led the team with a 39.125 in their first win of the season over rival Iowa, 195.125-193.800. Her performance on the uneven bars helped Iowa State upset the Hawkeyes.

“I think Jaz [Thompson] has stepped up a lot from last year as an all-arounder, and same with Nikki Dilbert,” said sophomore Jody McKellar.

“They’re doing really well. They’re good motivation for the rest of the team.”