Fischer-Luttrell to govern GSB

Ross Boettcher

Daniel Fischer and Maggie Luttrell were named the next president and vice president of the Government of the Student Body.

Approximately 44 hours and 15 minutes after the online polls closed Tuesday night, the student body now knows who the next leaders of GSB will be.

Fischer, the current director of government relations and senior in agricultural business, and Luttrell, GSB ex-officio City Council liaison and senior in history and women’s studies, obtained a stamp of approval from the student body with 66 percent of the vote. The students cast 3,901 ballots, an increase of approximately 2,800 from last year’s election.

After the announcement was made, in what Fischer considered an “anticlimactic” fashion, the newly named GSB president was all smiles. Fischer said he felt the determining factor in the vote was the balance brought by him and Luttrell.

“With Iowa State being such a large university and having such a diverse crowd – our balance really helped us,” he said.

Ryan Crampton, GSB senator and junior in political science, was left to face the final results on his own because his running mate, Jeff Edwards, senior in finance, was already away on spring break.

Although the loss was a tough pill to swallow for Crampton, he said the amount of student involvement was an overall win for GSB.

“I think we ran a really good campaign . I really enjoyed meeting so many students and organizations,” Crampton said. “I really thought we were going to come out victorious tonight, but it didn’t turn out that way. It wasn’t our destiny.”

Crampton said he felt the biggest determining factor in the result was organization. He felt he and Edwards had a very strong campaign, but the “mobilization” of the Fischer-Luttrell campaign kept them on top of their game.

“Hats off to both Daniel and Maggie, they really were ahead of the ball on everything,” Crampton said. “I think that really gave them all the momentum for the election.”

Current GSB President Brian Phillips, senior in political science, was surprised by the involvement of the student body.

“I don’t know where the hell all these votes came from,” he said. “I think it was a very well-run election. From what I gathered from the candidates, they were satisfied with the process.”

Fischer, Crampton and Phillips agreed that the amount of participation shown by the student body was a telling tale as to where GSB is headed in the future.

“I was really happy to see how many students voted,” Crampton said. “We’ve been talking about it the entire time – unless students vote and voice their opinion there wouldn’t be a future for GSB.”

Fischer and Luttrell will be inaugurated into GSB office on April 15.