Five recruits to watch in coming seasons

Corey Aldritt

Iowa State signed 24 players to their 2008 recruiting class on Wednesday. Here is a look at five players to watch for from signing day.

Sedrick Johnson, WR

6’4″, 180 lbs. Troup, Texas

The Cyclones needed someone to fill the shoes of Todd Blythe, and they may have found who they were looking for in Johnson. The lengthy receiver was a Rivals.com four-star recruit and rated the 34th-ranked receiver in the nation.

Johnson was the last recruit to send in his letter of intent and maybe the biggest surprise, as many other schools were pursuing him too.

“Sedrick Johnson is a young man that took a chance on coming to Iowa State because he believed in raising the bar. He believed in what our mission is in this program,” said head coach Gene Chizik.

He had 12 touchdowns in both his junior and senior seasons.

Johnson chose Iowa State over Texas A&M, Florida, TCU, LSU, Michigan, Missouri and Nebraska.

Jerome Tiller, QB

6’3″, 185 lbs.

San Antonio, Texas

Jerome Tiller will be thrown right into the starting quarterback race next fall. The dual-threat quarterback was a Rivals.com three-star recruit. Tiller was also ranked the 19th best dual-threat quarterback in the country by to Rivals.

Chizik said Tiller will have the same opportunity to win the quarterback position as Austin Arnaud and Phillip Bates.

Tiller threw for 1, 600 yards and rushed for 770 yards his senior season at San Antonio Lee High School.

Tiller chose Iowa State over Air Force, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Purdue, Stanford and Texas A&M.

Jake McDonough, DE

6’5″, 250 lbs., Urbandale

The Cyclones had four commitments from the state of Iowa, and Jake McDonough might be the best of the bunch. His 6-foot-5-inch frame is the ideal size for a Big 12 defensive end.

McDonough played high school football at West Des Moines Valley, and Chizik said a couple of McDonough’s ex-teammates and current Cyclones helped recruit McDonough.

He was a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com, which also listed him as the fourth-rated recruit in the state of Iowa.

McDonough chose Iowa State over Iowa and Kansas.

Jeremia Schwartz, RB

5’11” 230 lbs., Orlando, Fla.

Jeremiah Schwartz will probably fill a role as a fullback or short-distance back. ESPN.com rated Schwartz as the third best fullback recruit in the country.

Chizik said Schwartz is a big physical back who comes from a championship caliber high school in Florida.

Schwartz rushed for over 1,700 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior.

He chose Iowa State over Kentucky, Wisconsin, Virginia and Colorado.

Ter’ran Benton, DB

6’0″ 180 lbs., Arlington, Texas

Iowa State bolstered its secondary when Ter’ran Benton signed his letter of intent to become a Cyclone. The speedy cornerback was a Rivals.com three-star recruit. They also ranked him as the 62nd-best cornerback in the nation.

Benton was one of nine players Chizik nabbed from the state of Texas. He was a first team all-district player, and played running back in high school.

Benton chose Iowa State over Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Purdue, Central Florida, Arizona and Iowa.