Shifting snows no problem for experts [with video]

Ross Boettcher

For the past 20 winters, Ed Johnson has been clearing snow off the sidewalks at Iowa State University.

Johnson, a groundskeeper for facilities planning and management, said snowfalls like Tuesday’s are part of the usual song and dance for Iowa State’s grounds crew. Though students may have the impression that the groundskeepers control the weather, he said when bad weather is imminent, FP&M is armed and ready.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning in effect until noon Wednesday.

“Usually, in the early mornings, we focus on sidewalks and doorways. We also sand when it’s necessary,” Johnson said.

In the case of snow accumulating and compacting into a thick layer of ice, Johnson said FP&M’s staff tries to get to the precipitation before that point.

If walkways or drives to get slicked over with ice, he said a little salt and ice removal equipment normally do the trick and add additional traction for passers-by.

“We try to get to [the snow] before it gets compacted into ice,” he said.

Bob Currie, assistant director of facility services, said the 50-person grounds staff has its finger on the pulse of the weather and is informed of the status of campus at all times.

“We keep track of snow removal throughout the day, including sand and salt,” Currie said. “We certainly make sure equipment is operational and our ice-melting materials are adequate. Everything depends on what time it is projected to occur.”

Johnson said an accurate record of materials is kept in case of allegations of snow-removal negligence.

“Basically, to prevent against liability, we keep track of all routes and spreading to prove that we’re out here doing the right things,” Johnson said.

Currie said keeping strict tabs on routes and materials isn’t just for liability prevention, but also for supervision of general operations.

Currie said there are essential differences between garden-variety snow plows and other instruments used, such as the snow brush, when it comes to snow-removal devices.

“Unless the surface is absolutely flat, the plow isn’t going to remove all the snow – with the brush it will take off material 100 percent, no matter if there are dips or bumps,” he said.

During an average snowfall, FP&M’s staff needs between six and eight hours to completely clear all snow and ice from the surfaces of walkways and unused parking lots. But when everything is in full swing, Currie said there is normally an additional time period needed to ensure safety.

“For 1 to 4 inches [of] light snow, it normally takes six to eight hours to remove snow and have campus in a state of acceptable passage, and that’s assuming there are no cars in the parking lot,” Currie said. “A day like [Tuesday]… it’s going to take us a lot longer.”

The city of Ames’ snow ordinance was put into effect at 8 p.m. Tuesday. Cars parked along snow routes must be moved, or they will be ticketed or towed.

The lecture “The Epidemic of Identity Theft” was canceled. The lecture was to be given by Michael McCoy, graduate student in interdisciplinary studies.