Green Builders take on green issues

Sarah Haas

Being green is not just an attitude to the members of Iowa State’s environmental activism club, Emerging Green Builders.

Its members are on the cutting edge of green building techniques.

The club is partnered with the U.S. Green Building Council and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program, two national organizations that focus on green building techniques.

“We’re just a group of people who are all interested in sustainability, who get together and hear from professionals about the newest green building techniques,” said Jason Grimm, senior in landscape architecture and former president of the club.

The club aims to bring environmentally conscious industry representatives to campus.

“We want to bring in people who can offer insight into the different construction practices and sustainability issues, which is useful because a number of the students in the club will one day enter the industry of green building,” said Joel Loes, senior in construction engineering and current club president.

Yet the club is open to anyone wishing to participate in the sustainability discussion.

“Our membership varies a lot. Interior design, architecture, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, biology, and other majors are all represented,” Grimm said.

Grimm said this cooperative environment is necessary to solving the environmental problems facing the earth.

The club is now trying to spread awareness around even further.

“We’re trying to find some way to get the Emerging Green Builders group more involved, not only on campus but in the community as well this semester,” Loes said.

“We are looking at hosting a social get-together where we grill out and talk about sustainable issues and raise awareness.”

Other environmental groups on campus also encourage the students to be aware of environmental problems through community outreach.

Group members of Protectors of the Planet rummage through garbage to find recyclable pop cans and bottles.

Meanwhile, members of the Student Environmental Council are working on a campaign to educate students on the proper recycling and sustainability techniques in dorms.

Each group stresses the importance of decreasing one’s negative effect on the earth by making small changes.

“I’m always trying to minimize my negative impact on the earth just by conserving energy and recycling.”

“We want people to understand the importance of being conscious of their effect on the world,” Loes said.