Library: Now more awesome

Sarah Haas

This year, Parks Library has changed its policies to offer more convenience to students and increased its fees, as shown in the graphic accompanying this story. Below are some of the more interesting changes to library policy.

Instant Message a Librarian

Have a quick question for a librarian? Instead of visiting the library, e-mailing or calling, you can now contact a librarian through instant messaging. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays, chat with a librarian and instantly receive the assistance you need. From the library’s home page, click on the “IM A Librarian” link to connect to the IM or just add “isulibim” to your buddy list.

CD/DVD Rental

Beyond the usual academic books and journals lies something unexpected – a steadily growing collection of DVDs and CDs available for rent. From “Knocked Up” to Radiohead’s new CD, “In Rainbows,” the library’s selection of films and audio is both diverse and vast; the collection contains 51,942 films and videos, including both box office hits and underground documentaries, as well as 13,981 audio materials.

Online Renewal

Instead of trekking to the library to renew that book, visit the library’s Web site. For the first time, the library is offering online renewal to all students through its home page. Click on the “My Account” link to immediately relieve yourself of the walk to the other side of campus.

“Over the past few years, online renewal has been the single, most-frequently requested improvement to circulation-related services at Iowa State. The ISU Library is pleased to be able to offer this convenience,” the library’s news release said.

Online renewal is allowed up to three times per item. This service is not available for all items. For example, online renewal is not available for items in the Leisure Media collection, which includes DVDs.

Bookends/Sweet Hangouts

Whether in the newly revamped in-house cafe, Bookends, or beneath one of Grant Wood’s four murals, the library is full of comfortable hangout spots for both group projects and silent studying. Rooms can be checked out for a group of students, while comfortable single spaces are also available throughout the building.

Increased checkout periods

With an increase in services and availability of items, students can now enjoy library items for even longer. “This is another very frequent request from students, and a privilege that has become increasingly common among our peer institutions,” the news release said. The original two-week checkout period has been doubled to four weeks. This loan extension applies to all students.