Winter weather wraps fence talk in chains

Ross Boettcher

A campus walk to coordinate efforts on the issue of fences and cowpaths was put on hold Thursday, as heavy snowfall limited visibility and the effectiveness of the event.

Instead of hiking around in the snow, members of the Government of the Student Body, facilities planning and management and the student body all met again to further discuss a future plan of action.

The final discussions of the semester concluded with FP&M and GSB informally agreeing on a plan of action that didn’t include any fence removal whatsoever. Instead, planned modifications include changing three chain fences to two chain fences around LeBaron Hall, painting fences around Catt Hall and expanding sidewalks from six to eight feet near Osborn Drive.

Although some students have vocally advocated removing the fences, those students didn’t have a visible presence at any of the meetings. The discussions primarily focused on alternative methods to control foot traffic and ways of improving the aesthetics of existing fences.

Surprisingly, one of the topics brought up during discussion came in the form of snow fence installation. Catherine Brown, campus planner for facilities planning and management, said the installation has currently been put on hold because of discussions, but when the winter weather allows for it, the snow fences will be installed as they normally are during the winter months.

She said the removal of the snow fences will rely on the ability of the turf around Central Campus to take its regular beating.

“Usually we wait to remove the snow fences until the grass is growing effectively,” Brown said. “We just want to make sure that the grass is mowable and that it is able to take the wear and tear of being walked on.”

Lynn Seiler, associate director of FP&M, said the installation of the snow fences may rekindle the entire fence issue.

“What you don’t want to see is a real negative reaction from students to the snow fences,” Seiler said. “I think this is something that could become a real possibility.”