1,000 student tickets allotted for Iowa-Iowa State wrestling meet

Luke Plansky

The athletic department has allotted 1,000 tickets for students for Iowa State’s wrestling dual with Iowa on Sunday.

Starting today, students can bring their student ID and their Cy’s Pass to get a voucher for a ticket to the meet.

Four sections have been designated for students.

“We need the student’s help,” said coach Cael Sanderson. “We need them to help us bring that Hilton Magic into our wrestling matches, and having them there and be loud in the matches and be a factor for us. They can definitely affect the outcome, and we need them to be.”

The Iowa-Iowa State wrestling dual was named one of the top 101 sporting events to see “before you die” in an ESPN column.

Iowa State likely gained the No. 1 ranking with a win over top-ranked Minnesota on Sunday.

“This is one of the more exciting sporting events in any sport in the nation,” Sanderson said. “I mean, the intensity is unmatched in any other sporting event. It’s what competition is all about. And it’s not a friendly rivalry. You saw that last year just in the way their coaching staff acts.”

Sanderson said that since he has wrestled at Iowa State the amount of Iowa fans in Hilton Coliseum rivals the Cyclone contingent, which he said can’t continue.

“That’s just, we can’t have that happening,” he said. “We need to have rowdy students that get up and holler at the ref, holler at the team and just have fun, just like a football game, just because we hate them so bad. That should be reason enough.”