When ‘home sweet home’ isn’t so sweet

Alicia Warden

On the journey homeward, thoughts of pumpkin pie and turkey dance through your head. The exuberating thrill of being free from tests, projects and all-nighters cannot be greater.

Some students are highly anticipating Thanksgiving break. Tim Killian, sophomore in pre-business, said he is looking forward to spending time with his family, which is something he doesn’t get to do very often.

“I usually only go home over the big breaks,” Killian said.

Amelia Hedley, senior in art and design, is also excited for Thanksgiving.

“I have a big family to head home to,” she said.

For others, however, this well-deserved hiatus from college can spiral into a nightmare as they reconnect with some family members. Dad pressures you about grad school, Mom grills you about your spending habits and Grandma asks you when you’re going to take that thing out of your nose.

Priscila Torres, freshman in physics, is worried about being bored over break. Being away for a week can cause people to worry about academics.

“[I’m] worried about forgetting what I’ve learned and then having to take finals,” Torres said.

Before you run screaming all the way back to Ames, know that there are ways to survive – and even enjoy – Thanksgiving break.

Megan Murphy, director of the Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic and assistant professor of human development and family studies, encouraged students to have realistic expectations about going home.

If there were issues in your family when you left for college, you can’t always expect those to be resolved. Murphy also said your family won’t have the same insights you’ve gained about yourself while at school.

Susan Stewart, associate professor of sociology, said breaks could be used as an opportunity to share with your family what has been going on in your life since the semester started.

“If you’re a student, you’re coming back [home] changed,” Stewart said.

Being at home again means you can catch up on what has been going on in your family’s lives as well. Communication becomes vital when going back home.

Stewart said the evolving relationship between parents and children is an important step in adult development. You start to realize that relationships aren’t perfect, but you also start to see your parents in a different light than you did when you were a child.

“I think it is a process of getting to know each other again,” Stewart said.

If you find home to be stressful, you can also apply the same healthy coping strategies you use at school. If spending extended time with your family causes tension, Murphy suggests limiting the time you spend with them.

To minimize stress, it is important to follow the rules of your family’s house. Hedley said that, at home, you are still responsible for following your parents’ rules.

To outline behavior expectations, Murphy said, “It might be worthwhile to sit down and talk with the family.”

Stewart also said not to expect the holidays or time with your family to be perfect. Often, people have an ideal picture of what time at home will be like, but those expectations are not always met. To keep your sanity, it can be best to roll with what comes.

Murphy said one of the most important things is to just “have fun and relax.”