Update: Only four students vote at Frederiksen Court by 5:30 p.m.

Virginia Zantow

While Frederiksen Court may be a student housing complex, it drew few student voters Tuesday night during the municipal elections.

Four students had voted at the Hawthorne Market polling station by 5:30 p.m., including one nursing student from the Des Moines Area Community College.

“We’ve seen a lot of students come to eat,” said Jan Beran, election administrator, referring to the volume of student customers she observed going through Hawthorne Market’s dining service.

Eighty-three people, students included, had voted at the polling station by 5 p.m. Beran said she thought this election’s turn-out was lower than the turn-out for the school board election.

Andrew Lucchesi, a DMACC nursing student, and his wife, Breehan Lucchesi, voted for Matthew Goodman for the position of at-large representative, as well as Jami Larson for the 2nd Ward representative. Larson was uncontested.

“[Goodman] is a little bit younger and progressive,” Andrew said. “I like his stances on pretty much everything.”

Breehan said that the the couple had discussed what they considered a particularily important issue of revitalizing Campustown, which Breehan said Goodman clearly supported.

Martha Stewart, human services specialist at Iowa State, voted for Goodman as well. She said she thought Pat Brown, Goodman’s opponent, had served the community long enough.

“I’m a little more interested in new guard versus old guard,” Stewart said. “Pat Brown has been involved in community affairs for a long time in many capacities. I think her time is done, and I’d rather someone else had the chance.”

Pauletti Lasley, certified election official, said she thought it was important for students to vote during municipal elections because city ordinances affect them, especially those concerning rental properties.

“[Voting] is a good way to get started on civic-mindedness and being a part of the community,” Lasley said.

Mark Jensen, another election administrator, said he thought non-voting students were “missing the boat.”

“You [students] are part of the community,” he said.