Future of Campustown may include image facelift

Ross Boettcher

Campustown and Welch Avenue may be best known for bars and nightlife, but for potential businesses and students, that may not be the right foot to start off on when it comes to the future.

Dan Culhane, president and chief executive officer of the Ames Economic Development Commission, believes things need to change – not just little changes, but monumental ones.

“What we really need to see in Campustown is a major project,” Culhane said. “We need something that is landscape altering that has a parking component and some very unique feature that will draw people to Campustown. Until we have that, Campustown will continue to struggle.”

Culhane isn’t the only individual who feels Campustown needs a facelift.

City Councilman Riad Mahayni said the perception that Campustown is best known for its bars isn’t the best light to be shining.

“Currently, Campustown becomes active after sunset. For it to prosper it needs to function like most other business areas,” Mahayni said. “That means that Campustown needs to function all day long but all year long as well.”

During an Oct. 11 open forum with members of the Government of the Student Body, Mayor Ann Campbell called Campustown “the front door of Iowa State University.”

Campbell, Mahayni and Culhane all agree the front door needs to be rebuffed, rehinged and repainted before Campustown can reestablish itself as an economic stronghold in the community.

Mahayni said the nightlife aspect of Campustown is the biggest deterrent to future businesses.

“Let’s be honest, Campustown has a bad reputation,” Mahayni said. “It’s basically a place for bars, so why would anyone but students want to visit Campustown?”

Culhane said one of the issues facing the economic development of Campustown is establishing which entities are going to be responsible for making the necessary changes.

“I think as a business community, we are always looking at Campustown and trying to determine the best group or groups to spearhead the redevelopment of that area,” Culhane said. “Nobody at this point in time has taken the initiative to provide leadership to provide the changes in Campustown.”

Culhane said there must be “some incentive to invest in Campustown.”

“Whether it comes from ISU or it comes from the city of Ames or a combination of the two,” Culhane said. “Campustown needs to become more inviting to businesses and prospective students.”

Another major problem facing the businesses of Campustown is the high turnover rate when the academic year comes to a close. In that time, the student population of more than 26,000 plummets and causes a severe drop in the Campustown economy.

Culhane said in order for a new business to stick, it must feature a product or service that is different than something that is already available.

“If you look at the businesses that have been successful and have had good long tenure in Campustown, it is businesses that are unique to that part of the community,” he said. “It’s more unique shopping and dining experiences that tend to hang on.”