James Smith: Big hits are coming

Luke Plansky

James Smith was thought to be a potential four-year starter.

The then-redshirt freshman beat out the competition for the starting job at strong safety last season, but broke his right ankle three weeks before the first game against Toledo.

Smith had never suffered a major injury in his football career. He came back to play against Texas Tech, but didn’t feel comfortable.

“The game was fast, and I wasn’t at 100 percent,” Smith said. “So I felt slower, you know, compared to everything that was going . I just wasn’t in it mentally.”

Now healthy, Smith has gotten the chance to show his true ability this season. The sophomore is second on the team in tackles (46), has two interceptions, two forced fumbles and a sack.

Head coach Gene Chizik and defensive coordinator Wayne Bolt both said they were proud of Smith’s performance so far.

Smith was still hurt during the spring, but still practiced Bolt said.

“He was hobbled and he didn’t miss,” Bolt said. “He went out there and hobbled around and tried to get better.”

Bolt called Smith a pleasant surprise.

“He hasn’t missed a down,” he said. “He’s been there the whole time, getting reps during two-a-days and hasn’t been hurt, and you know he’s getting better every day. We’re very, very pleased with him.”

Smith was originally recruited by former ISU offensive coordinator Barney Cotton. At Council Bluffs Jefferson High School, he was an All-State running back, rushing for a combined 24 touchdowns in his junior and senior seasons.

Smith had little experience at cornerback in high school, but his size (5-foot-8, 192 pounds) made ISU coaches think he could learn the position. On defense, he had played mostly a rover position, which combines the duties of a safety and linebacker, and liked to hit.

“When I first got here, I said ‘I want to be a safety.’ [Coaches] were like ‘Ah, you’re not a safety, you’re a corner.’ Then they seen me playing corning, and then decided I’m not a corner,” said Smith while laughing. “Then they moved me to safety.”

Bolt said Smith is “seeing the whole picture” and is learning the defensive scheme.

Smith said that he is getting more comfortable in the defense but that he has a lot of improving left to do.

Chizik said Smith has shown improvement throughout the season.

“He’s a very selfless player,” Chizik said. “It’s never about him, and I think he’s grown every week as a football player and helped our team in many ways.”