ISU club walks the line

Alicia Warden

One of Iowa State’s newest clubs is a bunch of slackers. No, they don’t sit around and watch the leaves turn when they should be doing homework. But they do practice the sport of slacklining.

The ISU Slacklining Club started this semester. Slacklining is a relatively new sport and not widely known.

“It’s similar to tight-rope walking,” said Brian Eagen, president of ISU Slacklining Club and junior in architecture.

Participants set up the line by tying a length of flat webbing between two points.

The webbing is about 1 inch wide, usually used in mountain climbing. The club usually sets up a 30-foot-long line, which is about 1 or 2 feet off the ground, Eagen said.

The line is secured using carabiners. A person then attempts to balance and do tricks across the line. It is a dynamic line, which means the webbing is not taut between the two anchor points.

“When you start, you fall all the time,” Eagen said.

Eventually club members hope to master tricks such as jumping on to the line, kneeling, sitting, laying and turning on the line.

Eagen said they also want to attempt highlining, which is when the line is set up higher off the ground. Highlining requires more skill both in balancing and in setting up the line.

Eagen is a rock climber. At the end of last winter, he was tired of being inside and was ready to enjoy the outdoors. He saw a group of people slacklining on Central Campus. There are similarities between slacklining and rock climbing, and he was soon drawn into the sport.

“It’s a great excuse to get outside,” Eagen said. “And it’s unique.”

Eagen said slacklining is a great way to relax and reduce stress.

Jerry Rupert is the adviser for the Slacklining Club. He said the social aspect that comes with clubs like the Slacklining Club is important.

“Clubs are a good avenue for students to interact outside the norm,” Rupert said.

Rupert said there are elements from other sports, such as skiing and snowboarding, that carry over in slacklining. One of these elements is balance, which is crucial in slacklining.

Eagen and Rupert both encourage anybody who is interested in slacklining to come to one of the club’s meetings.

“Lots of people like to get involved with things they’ve never done before,” Rupert said.

The club currently meets on Central Campus on Wednesdays at 6 p.m., but Eagen said the weather may force them to do something else.

Eagen is currently working on securing an indoor space for the Slackline Club to meet during the winter months.