Students flock to be photographed as Trend seeks campus models

Alicia Warden

To find fresh faces to grace its next issue, Trend magazine is looking to its audience – students.

The fashion magazine held a casting call Tuesday to recruit models to be featured in the magazine’s upcoming photo shoots.

Zach Johnson, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, editor of Trend, said about 50 people attended the casting call.

“Fifty people was really good, especially since we’re not well known,” Johnson said.

Johnson said the magazine will hold a variety of photo shoots, requiring a wide variety of models.

Johnson said Trend wants students to feel involved.

“A lot of people have never had the opportunity to be in a magazine,” Johnson said.

Arriving at the casting call, candidates filled out an application, had their measurements taken and were photographed.

The gathered information will be kept on file so the Trend staff can easily locate models for upcoming shoots.

Johnson looked over the applications and was pleased.

“There’s some really promising people,” Johnson said.

Charles Fisher, senior in materials engineering, does not have any modeling experience but was at the casting call Tuesday night.

Fisher said he saw a flier in his fraternity advertising the casting call. He was also encouraged to attend by a friend on the Trend staff.

“It’s something interesting to try,” Fisher said.

Erin O’Connor, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production, also has never modeled before.

After hearing about the casting call in one of her textiles and clothing classes, however, she decided to give it a try.

“I thought it’d be cool to be in the magazine and try on the clothes,” O’Connor said.

Some applicants did have modeling experience. Audrey Graham, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production, has been modeling since her freshman year of high school. She never misses an opportunity to be involved with modeling on campus.

“I try out for anything that the school has,” Graham said.

She has modeled for the ISU Textiles and Clothing Fashion Show and enjoys modeling because she likes fashion and taking on the roles that come with various modeling jobs.

“When you are modeling, you can project a different image,” Graham said.

In addition to involving more students in the magazine, Trend is hoping to reach a wider audience.

Johnson said the magazine will encompass more topics than just fashion, with stories related to ISU Theatre and the College of Design.

The next issue of Trend is set to come out on Nov. 12.