Local communities petition for control of smoking bans

Corey Aldritt

In 2002, Ames became the first city in Iowa to pass an ordinance that banned smoking in most public places, but that ordinance was soon struck down by the Iowa Supreme Court.

Five years later, the Des Moines City Council and the Waukee City Council have signed a local control resolution in hopes of gaining control over the state in banning public smoking.

“Having the communities pass their own laws lets the communities decide for themselves if they want to ban smoking,” said Heidi Weiss, project coordinator of the Central Iowa Tobacco-Free Partnership.

Kari Swenson, also a project coordinator of the Central Iowa Tobacco-Free Partnership, said Ames was not allowed to pass smoking bans because local ordinances cannot be stricter than state law.

“We’re expecting more communities to sign these local control resolutions, and we’ll hand those over to the state Legislature in January,” Swenson said.

Ames city councilman Matthew Goodman said restaurants went smoke free when Ames passed its ordinance five years ago, and most restaurants are still smoke free, even after the ordinance was overturned.

Weiss said she hasn’t heard much opposition to the ordinances except from the tobacco industry and a few city councils.

“Some city councils are afraid; they’re concerned about ruffling feathers and want the state to make the law so they wouldn’t have to,” Weiss said.

Alex Tuckness, associate professor of political science, said banning smoking in public places depends a lot on the level of organization that the opposing groups present.

Clark Richardson, senior in agricultural business and ISU student liaison for the Story County Tobacco Task Force, said he thinks communities should make their own laws regarding smoking ordinances, not states.

Both Weiss and Swenson said they are confident that, within the next year or two, the Iowa Legislature will grant local communities the right to pass smoke-free ordinances.

“I think it’s realistic if we get enough people on board,” Swenson said.

The ISU campus went one step closer to becoming smoke free when it banned smoking within 25 feet of any campus building in January.