Homecoming week targets nongreeks

Corey Aldritt

Homecoming is more than just football game – it’s a whole week of events.

“Our theme this year is ‘Building on 150 Years of Tradition,'” said Jinny Millhollin, general co-chairwoman of the Homecoming committee and senior in food science.

With tradition surrounding Homecoming this week, there will one event with a new twist.

For the first time ever, there will be a headlining band for Battle of the Bands, said Adam Theis, general co-chairman of the Homecoming committee and junior in agricultural business.

“The Nadas will be playing at old RCA courtyard on Tuesday night,” Theis said.

Battle of the Bands starts at 4:30 p.m. and The Nadas will take the stage at 7 p.m.

Theis said in previous Homecomings, there has been the stereotype that it’s just a greek thing. However, all students can be involved in Homecoming events.

“One of our biggest goals this year is to make it geared toward the nongreek students,” Theis said. “We have a 500 percent increase in nongreek participation this year.”

Despite nongreek participation, the greek community still has a large hand in Homecoming.

The Yell Like Hell finals will take place from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. Friday during the Homecoming pep rally.

“Yell Like Hell is a really unique thing that everyone should see at least once. Everyone is painted and yelling. It’s quite a sight,” Millhollin said. The rally will feature the ISU marching band, the spirit squad and the announcement of the Homecoming king and queen.

Iowa State brought back the Homecoming royalty tradition at last year’s celebration. Winners receive a $500 scholarship.

Millhollin said the royalty selection isn’t a popularity contest – judges choose the winners based on academic achievements and community service.

Following the pep rally, the focus shifts to the streets. ExCytement in the Streets features the lawn displays of greek houses.

Friday ends with mass campaniling and fireworks at midnight.

Homecoming also is filled with tournaments, ranging from volleyball to “Guitar Hero 2.”

Millhollin said even if a team hasn’t registered yet, they can still show up and have a good chance of playing.

Monday’s Homecoming events

Food on campus, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Central Campus

Menu: Pizza and Blue Bunny ice cream sandwiches

Blitz Build – Habitat for Humanity,

8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

107 Garden Road

Painting Victory Lane, 3 to 9 p.m.

North of Jack Trice Stadium in Lot C6

Cardinal Dodgeball Tournament

6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Lied Recreation Athletic Center

Gold Dodgeball Tournament

8:30 to 10:30 p.m.

Lied Recreation Athletic Center