Wikipedia: A good place to start

Alicia Warden

A few keystrokes on Wikipedia can lead you to information on almost any topic imaginable. The Web site boasts more than 5.3 million articles, written in more than 100 different languages. But this fountain of information has met its fair share of criticism.

Because the collaborative Web site can be edited by anyone, there are questions regarding the credibility of information found on Wikipedia. However, a software program called MediaWiki and a team of administrators who oversee what is put on the Web site make sure content and edits adhere to Wikipedia’s guidelines.

Rob Lentz, junior in marketing, found out how quickly things can be taken off the Web site. He, and a few friends posted something they made up to see how long it would stay on the Web site. Lentz said it was taken down within an hour.

“I think they’re pretty good about taking false stuff down most the time,” Lentz said. He uses the site occasionally to obtain basic information on topics.

Wikipedia also has a series of disclaimers on its Web site. Because it is an open-content Web site, Wikipedia does not guarantee the legitimacy of any information found on its site and cautions people to use it at their own risk. In legal and medical matters, Wikipedia encourages people to seek out independent sources to verify what they read on Wikipedia.

“When you are doing research, it’s essential that you corroborate,” said Gerard McKiernan, associate professor with Parks Library. McKiernan said it is important to double-check sources, whether they be electronic or in print.

McKiernan said encyclopedias are not intended to be cited as sources in research. However, Wikipedia and other encyclopedias should not be discredited.

“It’s a good place to go for general information,” said Rebecca Jackson, associate professor with Parks Library. She said Wikipedia has reliable information but shouldn’t be cited as a source.

“I think they [students] see it as a quick finish, but it’s really just a good start,” said Lorrie Pellack, associate professor with Parks Library.

“College students are not to be using encyclopedias as research, except for getting an overview of the subject,” Jackson said.

Jackson said students often know they must do more in-depth research, but are unsure of how to conduct it. Parks Library is designed to help students with their research.

“That’s what the help and information desk is all about,” Jackson said.

The desk is located on the first floor of the library in the Learning and Connections Center. The library staff members at the desk are trained to help students with their research and can help them expand on the information that can be found on Wikipedia.

Stuck in your research process? Gerard McKiernan, associate professor with Parks Library, gives an overview of some of the services available to help you out. More information can be found on the library’s Web site, www.lib.iastate.edu.

• Indexes and Abstracts: A list on the Parks Library Web site of databases of articles. You can break the list down into databases that are geared toward your research subject.
  • Help and Information Desk: Located on the first floor of Parks Library in the Learning and Connections Center, the desk has staff members on-hand to answer students’ questions.
  • “Ask a Librarian” page: This page can be accessed from the library’s homepage by clicking on the “Ask a Librarian” link on the top of the page. Librarians can be reached through the live chat application, through e-mail or by phone.
  • Appointments: Subject librarians are available to help with research by appointment. There is a directory of subject areas and whom to contact within these areas.