‘High School Musical’ comes to Ames

Corey Aldritt

It may be a guilty pleasure, but the hit Disney Channel movie “High School Musical” has made headway among college students.

Starting Sept. 28, the Ames Community Theater Of Recreational Services will be performing Disney’s “High School Musical.”

While the cast of more than 30 is mostly made up of actual high school students, there are three ISU students who play large roles in the three-week production.

“I really love seeing the kids improve,” said Ashley Metzler, senior in music and the production’s musical director.

It is Metzler’s first time as a musical director, but she helped out with ISU Theatre’s performance of “The Music Man” last spring.

Troy Rutter is directing the production, and it is also his first time directing a musical.

“The TV movie was a big hit, so we took elements from the movie – but this show has a few new songs,” he said.

Rutter said his favorite scene in the performance is the song “When There Was Me and You,” because the two lead characters are at a crossroads in their relationship.

Kate Wentink, sophomore in finance, is playing one of the main characters, Sharpay Evans.

Sharpay is the closest thing to a villain that “High School Musical” has. She has been the lead in every high school musical she has tried out for, and doesn’t like the competition she faces in this year’s musical.

“I don’t think there are any similarities between my character and I,” Wentink said.

Wentink watched a performance of “High School Musical” the day before she decided to audition for Sharpay’s part.

“I do like fashion, though – we have that in common,” Wentink said. “I love playing the opposite character of who I am – it’s so much easier to act.”

Anna Sunstrom, junior in performing arts, is also enjoying her time on stage as a performance artist.

Sunstrom said one of the reasons she got involved with ACTORS was that she loves “High School Musical” and wanted the chance to be part of the production.

Wentink said she loves the song “Stick to the Status Quo” because she has a long solo.

The “High School Musical” soundtrack was one of the top-selling albums of 2006, according to Billboard, and Disney is riding the wave again this year with the “High School Musical 2” soundtrack.

Rutter said they are still looking for ushers for some of the performances, providing an opportunity for volunteers to watch the show for free.