Cyclones win over Baylor, advance to semifinals

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State sophomore Lindell Wigginton slaps hands with teammates Michael Jacobson and Talon Horton Tucker after a made shot during the first half against Baylor at the Big 12 Tournament.

Trevor Holbrook

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Losing six of its last eight and clashing with the Baylor Bears in the quarterfinal round of the Big 12 Tournament, Iowa State faced a tough challenge in its opening game.

The Cyclones prevailed and avenged two previous losses over the Bears, earning a 83-66 win.

Iowa State jolted to a fast start in the first half, securing a 38-29 lead at the break.

The Cyclones turned to freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker early and often. Horton-Tucker delivered a 16-point first half on 6-of-10 shooting, including four 3-pointers.

After the break, Baylor failed to cool off the Cyclone offensive outburst. 

To open the half, freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton nailed a pair of 3-pointers. Outside of the freshmen 3-point barrage, senior guard Marial Shayok turned it up a notch, scoring 13 second-half points to finish with 18.

The Cyclones play at 6 p.m. Friday against the winner of the Kansas State and Texas Christian matchup following Iowa State’s game.