Woman dies after ammonia accident in Waterloo plant

The Associated Press

WATERLOO – A woman who was injured when ammonia was accidentally released at a Beef Products Inc. plant has died, state labor officials said Tuesday.

Elizabeth Myers died Sunday afternoon. She was one of several workers at the plant who were injured when a BPI employee opened a valve that wasn’t locked causing the ammonia to be released on Friday, officials with the Iowa Labor Commissioner’s Office said.

One other worker was taken to the burn unit at University Hospitals in Iowa City. Several others were taken to a hospital but there was no information available Tuesday about their conditions, officials said.