Clubs deliver in competition

Jessi Pierce

For some, playing a sport was a part of life throughout high school, but ended with graduation. For ISU students, the game doesn’t have to end.

For those who don’t want to quit playing – and if Division I athletics isn’t an option – students can fill the void in club sports.

Club sports, sponsored by the Iowa State University Sports Club Council, consist of 46 varying sports, ranging from extreme sports such as skydiving and wakeboarding, to more common sports such as soccer and baseball. It allows those looking for an outlet of activity to participate in something they have done or have always wanted to do.

It is this type of interest that allows club sports to thrive at Iowa State, said Iowa State Lacrosse Club member Jay Gorman, sophomore in chemical engineering.

“I played high school lacrosse for four years, and it was great to be able to come back here and get out there and play but with slightly less commitment, and all the same competition,” Gorman said.

It’s the competition and travel that differentiate club teams from simple intramurals teams that have less commitment – even if your team does want to win an old-school intramural champion T-shirt.

“Intramural sports are a lot of fun to go out and mess around with your buddies, whether you’re athletic or not,” said Iowa State Baseball Club president Bryan Scholar, senior in health and human performance. “But club sports allow you to be more competitive. We go out there every time to win every game.”

For any students who aren’t aware of club sports at Iowa State, the SCC hosts ClubFest, allowing students the chance to hear and find out about a sport that interests them.

ClubFest, which will be held Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center, is a promotion for all student organizations at Iowa State, including club sports. It helps attract players and fans to their clubs, as well as increase general interest in their sports.

“ClubFest gives people who may have just heard of or seen a game on TV a chance to talk to players about the sport, and possibly get involved,” said Iowa State Lacrosse Club vice president Mike Pokorney, sophomore in construction engineering.

Scholar agrees with the importance of ClubFest for club sports.

“ClubFest helps get freshman and other people interested and lets them know that we exist,” he said. “It really helps us in getting people wanting to play.”

But more than anything, club sports offer the option for students to stay active and involved in a sport of their choice.

“I played baseball my whole life and didn’t want to stop doing it when I got to college and lose the competition,” Scholar said. “It’s great to be able to come to college and keep playing a sport.”