Lowdown on 2007 Cyclone football season

Chris Conetzkey

As a new student on campus, there are many different things to learn about. But don’t worry, the Iowa State Daily is here to educate you about the one thing you truly need to know about – ISU football.

Here’s a quick break down of the team, tied in with some history that will be sure to give you a solid football foundation, and have you well on your way to being ready for next season’s home opener.

New journey, new coach

Just as you are beginning a new journey at Iowa State, ISU football is as well. The 2005 season saw the Cyclones come within one overtime loss to the Kansas Jayhawks of playing in the Big 12 Championship. Last season was a disappointing one for coach Dan McCarney and Cyclone fans. The Cyclones played well below expectations in 2006, and as a result, the man who built ISU football to what it was, Dan McCarney, stepped down as head coach after 12 seasons with the Cyclones.

Iowa State made a splash during the off-season and brought in former Auburn and Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. Chizik had remained off most radar screens throughout the hiring process, but he was announced with much fanfare in late November.

Chizik passed his first real test as a coach when he was able to recruit a solid class for next season. He focused mostly on JuCo transfer students (athletes who have experience at the junior college level) and did an impressive job, considering he only had one month to sway players to come to Iowa State. This is the first head coaching job of his career, but one thing is for sure: He is no stranger to winning. Gene Chizik was the defensive coordinator at Texas when it won the National Championship in 2006. His defenses have traditionally been some of the best ranked in the NCAA, and his Auburn defense was ranked No. 1 in scoring defense in 2004.

Offense

The Cyclone offense will be led by third-year starter and senior quarterback Bret Meyer. He had a fantastic sophomore season, but his production sagged, along with the team’s record, during the rough 2006 season. His production didn’t decline, however, from a lack of wide receivers. Senior wide receiver Todd Blythe, along with a stable of young talented receivers, will be Meyer’s targets in 2007. Blythe caught nine touchdowns, and had 1,000 yards receiving en route to being named to the All-Big 12 team in 2005. Injuries slowed him last season, and his numbers sagged along with Bret Meyer’s. The cause for the offensive struggles was up front on the offensive line. Meyer was consistently scrambling for his life, and was sacked 38 times in 12 games. Four of last year’s five starters on the offensive line have moved on and Chizik, recognizing the weakness, recruited to fill that need.

Running back has also been an issue for Iowa State, and it may be again next season. The Cyclones used a variety of running backs last season, mostly because of senior Stevie Hicks’ inability to remain healthy. Even Hicks is gone now, and the Cyclones will most likely turn to JuCo transfer Jamicah Bass, who was a four-star recruit, according to www.rivals.com and www.scout.com. His success, and Meyer’s and Blythe’s success all depend on the offensive line. If the line can come together, look out for an explosive Cyclone offense next season.

Defense

The defense had its share of problems last season. After being a strong point for the team in 2005, the defense’s inability to stop other teams was Iowa State’s Achilles’ heel. The defense couldn’t stop the run, couldn’t stop the pass and couldn’t force enough big turnovers.

The team was young all over the secondary and on the defensive line. Many of those players gained a wealth of experience last season, but the bright spots were few and far between.

Linebacker Alvin Bowen was one of those bright spots, as he led the nation with an average of 12.92 tackles per game.

The Cyclones will be young on defense again next season, but they will be learning from the best there is with coach Gene Chizik.

Special Teams

If you want to be a Cyclone fan, one thing you have to understand is that some Cyclone fans get a little queasy every time there is a field goal attempt – especially if it is of the game-winning variety.

In 2004, the Cyclones missed out on a trip to the Big 12 Championship when a 24-yard field goal attempt by kicker Bret Culbertson sailed wide against Missouri. It was deja vu in 2005 when, once again, a win on the final day of the season would have sent Iowa State to the championship.

The Cyclones, however, blew a 14-3 lead against Kansas and missed a field goal in overtime, once again leaving the Cyclones short of the big game. Culbertson, however, has been solid in his tenure at Iowa State. He went 8-11 last season and had a 52-yard bomb, while making every extra point he attempted. Iowa State’s punter will most likely be Mike Brandtner, who is returning for his second season as the punter.

Game time

Mark your calendar. The first ISU game is against Kent State at 7 p.m. Aug. 30 under the lights. Don’t forget, if you’re unfamiliar with the state of Iowa, that the Super Bowl of the state is set for Sept. 15 in Ames, when the Cyclones and Iowa Hawkeyes square off for the Cy-Hawk Trophy.