First Amendment in the spotlight

Anthony Capps

In fewer than 50 words, the First Amendment affects all Americans on a daily basis, whether they recognize it or not.

Freedom of speech, press, religion, peaceful assembly and petition of the government are guaranteed by the amendment. Chances are, you use at least one of those a day, whether it’s speaking your mind, going to church or protesting a government action.

As part of First Amendment Day, the Daily asked important figures in the Ames community: How does the First Amendment affect your everyday life?

Brian Phillips, Government of the Student Body president and junior in political science:

The First Amendment has such a profound effect on everyday life that often the only time it is reflected upon is when it is being violated or infringed. It encompasses nearly everything we do. First Amendment Day gives us a pause to consider what impact the 45 simple words of the First Amendment have.

They protect the right to march to City Hall, to voice an opinion, to practice a religion, to express grievances to Congress; they protect the right for me to write these words and have them published in the Daily.

Ryan Doll, 3rd Ward city councilman:

There are quite a few different ways. It allows you to get involved in government. I have always thought that [the right to petition the government] was one of the most important. If you want an item changed you can petition the government.

Dennis Chamberlin, assistant professor of journalism and communication:

As a working journalist, it gave me the right to be out and ask questions and photograph. As a citizen, I see it being taken away. When I read the newspaper I want those journalists I read to have full access to information. We have to protect our rights. Someone has to be the watchdog.

John Carlson, columnist for The Des Moines Register:

You ask an interesting question, something I’ve never really considered in my 33 years in this business. I guess I don’t think of it much, because my right to speak, to write freely and express myself is guaranteed. I take that freedom for granted, as my birthright. Which, at least in this country, it is.

It’s nice Iowa State has recognized it as something worth celebrating.

Political satire takes center stage at comedy show

Satire will be at the forefront Friday night at the Veishea Comedy Show as part of First Amendment Day.

David Saldana, adjunct assistant professor of journalism and communication and co-chairman of the First Amendment Day committee, said the event is to entertain students, but he also hopes it will be a learning opportunity.

He pointed to a national study conducted by the University of Connecticut. Among the findings were that “nearly three-fourths of high school students either do not know how they feel about the First Amendment or admit they take it for granted” and “more than a third think the First Amendment goes too far in the rights it guarantees.”

Saldana said he was troubled by the results.

“According to the study, a majority of young people either don’t know or don’t care about their First Amendment rights,” he said.

“The books you read, the movies you watch, the CDs you listen to might not be available to you if it weren’t for the First Amendment.”

Barry Crimmins, Air America Radio writer and political satirist, will also speak at the event.

“If it wasn’t for satire, we may not have much of a First Amendment. It’s essential,” he said. “I use the First Amendment to say I don’t care for the Second Amendment.”

Saldana said one of the ways people learn is by free speech.

“I would like to get people to think about things in a different light,” Saldana said. “It’s a comedy show, but it’s also about freedom.”

Crimmins said he hoped the event would inspire others to use the First Amendment to speak out in a positive way.

“If you don’t use it, you lose it,” he said.