Ditching the winter wardrobe and preparing for spring

Layering a sweater and denim jacket over leggings is an effortless way to prepare for unpredictable weather. 

Alexis Myszka

As the seasons begin to change and the snow melts away to mud, what to wear for that long haul across campus can become frustrating, here are some tips and tricks to help clear up some of the clothing confusion.

Layers, upon layers, upon layers

The easiest way to remain prepared for whatever temperatures Iowa may throw at you is layering. According to glamour.com, an easy place to start is with a black turtleneck. Turtlenecks are a cute and simple base to begin the layering process, and they don’t have to have long sleeves. Depending on the initial temperature, layering a light cardigan or sweatshirt over the turtleneck is an easy way to be prepared for any temperatures that may come up throughout the day.

Kali Dawson, a sophomore in management information systems said that she likes to layer in her own way by pairing a turtleneck with a warm and cozy shawl or poncho-type pullover.

If a plain black turtleneck doesn’t sound all that exciting, harpersbazaar.com suggests bringing in an animal print turtleneck or jacket such as leopard, snakeskin and zebra for a bold statement piece.

Be waterproof

It seems that everyday comes with a side of precipitation, in order to stay dry take the time to waterproof that days outfit.

Starting at the top, pack an umbrella, getting in the habit of keeping a small umbrella inside of a backpack can be a life saver. Waterproof jackets and coats are another easy way to ensure that days outfit stays protected from the elements. Rain boots or other types of waterproof shoes will make walking around campus a little more comfortable on those days when a puddle sneaks up out of nowhere.

Meghan Shouse, a sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design shares how she prepares for a possibly rainy day.

“I always make sure either to have no makeup, or a ton of setting spray, and a black umbrella and usually not leather shoes but not canvas ones either I normally go for like a boot on rainy days,” Shouse said.

Waterproofing spray is also available for clothing and shoes made of fabrics that are not already water resistant, like suede, and can be purchased on sites such as Amazon.

Leggings

Leggings are a great versatile choice for days with indecisive weather. They are comfortable and can be easily layered under jeans or skirts to make any outfit suitable for colder temperatures.

Black leggings or yoga pants appear to be a staple piece for students at Iowa State. Abby Van Dam, a sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design shared how she incorporates leggings into her wardrobe.

“I would say right now my favorite outfit is a thin light crew neck with either leggings or denim jeans,” Van Dam said.

Leggings can be dressed up or down and adapted to any outfit for help facing the ever-changing Iowa weather.

Maxi skirts

When the cold weather hits, it can seem as though every day warrants the same exact outfit. To avoid getting seasonal depression in your wardrobe, maxi skirts can be a chic alternative to pants. Try pairing with a sweater and tall boots to stay warm and comfortable, or with a long sleeve bodysuit and denim jacket, depending on the temperature.