Program raises diversity issues

Anthony Capps

Emotions ran high when discussing topics such as affirmative action, homosexuality, abortion and immigration at a summit in the Memorial Union this weekend.

More than 40 students filled the South Ballroom of the Union on Saturday for the second day of the Multicultural Leadership Summit.

The program raised the issue of hate incidents on campus and in society.

The morning included how to identify hate crimes, as opposed to hate incidents.

“All hate crimes are hate incidents, but not all incidents are hate crimes,” said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, ISU alumna and trainer and speaker for the summit.

Examining current issues was another early focus. The afternoon included how to report and document hate incidents, analyzing their impact and explaining their attraction.

“We need to be as proactive as possible against hate and violence,” Bestler-Wilcox said,

There were plenty of activities to give students ideas on how to improve Iowa State in preventing and raising awareness about hate incidents.

By the end of the day, ideas included more education on social justice and creating a new student organization or coalition to combat hate incidents.

“If it’s student driven, chances are it’s going to happen,” Bestler-Wilcox said, as she urged the crowd to put their words in action.

Bestler-Wilcox was very pleased with the summit.

“It went really well. People were attentive and shared and really responded to us,” she said.

Student reaction appeared to be positive.

“It helped bring out my feelings on diversity,” said Ashim Subedee, junior in genetics and volunteer for the event.

“It was a big learning experience and very interesting; something I will remember for a long time.”