Fourth finalist announced in College of Engineering dean search

Photo Courtesy of Rob Schweers

W. Samuel Easterling of Virgina Tech is the fourth of five finalists in the search for the next dean of Iowa State’s College of Engineering.

Annelise Wells

W. Samuel Easterling of Virginia Tech has been announced as the fourth finalist in consideration to be the next James L. and Katherine S. Melsa dean of Iowa State’s College of Engineering.

Easterling will visit Iowa State’s campus Sunday through Tuesday. Easterling will also host an open forum on Monday from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium in Howe Hall. 

During the open forum, Easterling will meet and answer questions from students, faculty, staff, community members and stakeholders.

According to a press release, Easterling is the Montague-Betts professor of structural steel design and the head of Virginia Tech’s Via department of civil and environmental engineering.

Easterling earned his doctorate in structural engineering from Iowa State. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from West Virginia University in civil engineering.

Additionally, Easterling is a former president of Virgina Tech’s Faculty Senate and is also a registered professional engineer in Virginia, according to a press release.

Easterling is the fourth of five finalists in consideration for the position. The fifth and final candidate will visit campus Tuesday through Thursday and will be announced one day before their visit. 

Janis Terpenny of Pennsylvania State, Robert Frosch of Purdue University and Erick Jones of the University of Texas at Arlington were announced earlier in the month as the first three finalists for the position.

More information on the dean search can be found on the Office of the Senior Vice President and the Provost’s website, along with Easterling’s itinerary, Vita and other information.