Iowa State operates hotline for reporting offensive activities

Thomas Nelson

Since August 2005, Iowa State has offered a confidential hotline that allows students to anonymously call in activities they find offensive or obscene.

The hotline has been put in place because of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, inspired by the Enron scandal, which allows confidential reports on unethical and illegal activities in large businesses.

That legislation has inspired Iowa State to adopt a similar principle, said Sheryl Rippke, program manager of the ISU Foundation Confidential Hotline.

If a student feels an activity is taking place that shouldn’t, he or she can go online and report it. From there the proper authorities will be informed.

“It’s a way for anyone to report misdoings to administrators by a third party,” Rippke said.

The hotline’s affiliation with the Department of Public Safety depends on whether it is the appropriate department to contact, said ISU Police Commander Gene Deisinger.

“I think it is a good thing that if there are people with concerns, they can report them,” Deisinger said.

When students send in a report, they are given a password and a report key.

“Even with those, people stay completely anonymous,” Rippke said.

Students are encouraged to become familiar with the methods of sending in a report. Also, if a report is made, it is important to check the Web site to see if the authorities need to talk to the individual who made the report, Rippke said.

The hotline doesn’t supersede calling 911. Students are encouraged to continue using normal methods to report concerns to the proper authorities. The hotline is not for employee-related grievances.

If you are having trouble with an employer you should follow the proper methods, Rippke said.

If there is an emergency, students are encouraged to call the police.

The hotline is not used for emergencies. Reports on the hotline will not receive immediate service.

To use the hotline, call 866-384-4277 or go to the Web site at secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/en/report_custom.asp?clientid=10745.