Student Government to seek solution to a controversial endorsement

Student Government members listen as members of Ames City Council explain issues pertaining to both students and residents Feb. 27.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government members will look at two different ways to approach their previous endorsement of Iowa Senate Study Bill 1099 and House File 316, as well as seek resolutions about medical amnesty and the 2020 caucuses at their Wednesday meeting.

Sen. Ihssan Ait-Boucherbil will introduce a resolution to rescind Student Government’s endorsement of Senate Study Bill 1099 and House File 316. The resolution would rescind the support for all of the bill, which covered expanding free speech zones as well as allowing student organizations to put restrictions on who would be able to take leadership within their organizations.

Sen. Sandeep Stanley will propose that Student Government amend its original resolution rather than rescinding support. The proposal includes adding, “The Iowa State University Student Government does not support the second sentence of Section 3.3 in its current form and recommends that it be altered or removed” within the resolution.

Student Government will be introducing a proclamation to recognize Varieties participants and organizers. The proclamation recognizes and congratulates each of the mini musicals and individuals on their participation and achievements during Varieties, as well as the work put in by the organizers.

Sen. Kaitlyn Sanchez will introduce a resolution titled “Addressing and Improving Student Government.” The resolution recognizes the positive strides Student Government has made, as well as the progress that still can be made.

The resolution also asks for a student body-wide survey to be sent out for feedback and for Student Government to use those results to see what it can continue to improve upon.

Stanley will also be introducing a resolution endorsing Iowa Senate Study Bill 1107 and House Study Bill 175, which are about medical amnesty.

“Medical amnesty policies are designed to protect individuals who experience a medical emergency caused by the illegal possession or consumption of controlled substances from liability that would arise from contact with emergency services,” according to the resolution.

Sen. Courtney Beringer will introduce a resolution titled “Encouraging Participation for the ISU Community in the 2020 Iowa Caucuses.” The resolution asks that there will be no mandatory or encouraged events Feb. 3, 2020, so all students and staff members have the ability to participate in the caucuses.

Block and Bridle will be requesting $4,088 to assist in decreasing expenses for an event they will be holding April 6. The event, Animal Learning Day, is open to all ISU students and members of the Ames community.

Project Jamaica is requesting $6,600 to send 22 students from outside of their organization to travel to Jamaica for a service trip. The funding would assist with food, shelter, supplies and flight costs.

The Railroad Club is asking for $943.31 to help improve their club and increase their members’ participation. The club is looking to increase their ability to advertise as well as decrease the cost of storage so they are able to use their funds in a more useful manner.

The Suicide Awareness Organization is asking for $755.50 to decrease the cost of promotional materials, refreshments, rentals and supplies for their Out of the Darkness Iowa State University Campus Walk on April 27. The walk brings awareness to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s mission to save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.