Men disappoint at Missouri Bluffs; tie for ninth place

Chris Williams

Despite its best 54-hole score of the season, the ISU men’s golf team was only able to tie for ninth at Missouri Bluffs Invitational in St. Charles, Mo.

Coach Jay Horton said he was disappointed with the team’s performance.

“We made strides in Memphis; we knew the course, and it was a lot easier than what we’ve been playing on. I thought we’d play better,” Horton said.

The team shot rounds of 301, 291 and 301 for a total of 893. Leading the way for the Cyclones once again was junior Drew Dalziel 75-71-73-219, who tied for 24th.

“I hit the ball pretty well but didn’t putt well,” Dalziel said.

“That’s one of the easiest courses we’ll play, and you have to shoot around par to have a chance.”

Sophomores Rodney Hamblin and Dane Odden played well for the team, both shooting 222. Odden participated as an individual, and his score did not count toward the team score.

Odden shot an even par 71 on the final round, which was his best this season.

“Dane and Rodney are both moving in the right direction and have a lot to build on,” Horton said.

The three other Cyclones to round the field for the team were freshman Joe Cermak 79-74-75-228, sophomore Curtis Foster 74-78-77-229, and freshman Chris Baker 78-74-79-231. Cermak and Foster recorded their best scores of the season.

Memphis (842) took first in the tournament, with Missouri finishing second.

Memphis freshman Andy Shiels won the tournament with a tournament record 65 on the final round.

As the fall season winds down, the young Cyclones are gaining collegiate experience that will be key in the spring when the big tournaments are taking place, Dalziel said.

“I think some of our young guys are finally starting to get the feel of college golf,” Dalziel said.

The team will have some time off before the Big 4 Championship, but it has plenty to work on and to look forward to for the Oct. 25 showdown with Iowa, Drake and Northern Iowa.

“We’re sick of getting ninth, 10th and 11th. We just have to start playing like we can,” Dalziel said. “We always want to beat Iowa.”

Iowa State beat the Hawkeyes last week in Memphis.

“In past years, we’ve been the favorite going into the Big 4 and not played well,” Horton said. “This year, we’re the underdog, so hopefully we can go out there and win.”