IRHA’s Peters moving on

Emily Oliver

After three years of sharing bathrooms and living in close quarters, a student leader in the residence halls is moving on.

Inter-Residence Hall Association President Eric Peters is moving out of the dorms and into the wide world of off-campus living and greek life after his term is up in April.

“I just don’t think the residence halls are the place for me anymore,” he said.

He said his needs are changing and he thinks he will be more comfortable living off campus.

“I think everyone goes through that,” he said. “I want to be able to live in my own house with my own furniture in my own room.”

Reflecting on his service to IRHA and time in the residence halls, Peters said he was surprised he became so involved.

He began his terms of service early, serving as vice president of his house in Willow Hall as a freshman.

In the spring of his first year, he served as the Willow Hall representative of the Richardson Court Association to IRHA.

The following year, he was elected as Willow Hall president. Then at the end of his sophomore year, Peters, with the encouragement of friends on IRHA, ran for president of the organization.

He and his running mate, Justin Rasmussen, senior in computer engineering, were elected as president and vice president.

“It’s kind of shocking, I never thought I’d be president of IRHA,” he said.

Rasmussen said he met Peters before they came to college, but became friends while serving on IRHA.

“It’s been great working with Peters because he’s really been on the ball,” said Rasmussen. “He’s been a pleasure to work with.”

Over the past three years, Peters said he has seen many changes within the Department of Residence.

The Fresh Start Program, which imposes strict control of alcohol and requires students to participate in community service activities, was once limited to just a few residence halls.

It has now been expanded into all of Union Drive Association and Maple Hall.

Other changes in the residence halls, such as the closing of Knapp and Storms Halls at the Towers complex, have been notable as well, he said.

Despite disruptions caused by these closings, Peters said the relations between the Department of Residence and IRHA have improved.

“Instead of us yelling at them, there’s more of a dialogue between the two groups,” he said. “The relationship isn’t as confrontational as it has been in the past.”

Rasmussen said Peters was a competent and hard-working president.

“He actually cares about getting the job done,” he said.

Peters said he will miss serving in IRHA and socializing with IRHA members, student staff and residence hall staff.

“I think I’ll miss IRHA,” he said. “If I could I would stay on, but I can’t stay in the residence halls anymore.”

Peters will join Adelante fraternity, although he will not live in the fraternity’s house.

“I knew I didn’t want to live in the house, I’ve shared too many walls with too many people,” he said. “I can’t handle it anymore.”

Peters lived in the Adelante house last summer while attending classes, and was invited to pledge in August. Peters’ prior obligations as IRHA president kept him from accepting. Now, with his term all but over, he has pledged.

“It’s a change of pace,” he said of leaving the dorms and joining Adelante. “It’s a different facet of college life I haven’t explored.”

Anthony Nowell, freshman in computer engineering and Adelante member, said he thinks Peters will fit in well at the fraternity.

“I think we’re pretty easy to get along with,” he said. “We’re just a group of guys who work together, and I think he’ll work just fine with us.”

Although Peters will not live at the fraternity, Nowell said he will be included in most of the fraternity events.

“He’ll be required to attend a certain percentage of our chapter meetings and philanthropic events,” Nowell said.