Boxers barely miss national titles

Chris Williams

The ISU Boxing Club had two boxers in contention to win a national title at last weekend’s national tournament in Reno, Nev., but both came away disappointed.

Ryan Allan, sophomore in exercise and sport science, lost in the 165-pound semi-finals to two-time national champion, Clell Knight, a senior from Air Force Academy. Allan, who won the regional tournament, became Iowa State’s 44th All-American.

“Ryan performed excellent. His opponent in the ring just had a lot more experience. He should be the national champion next year,” said ISU boxing club head coach Terry Dowd.

Josh Demmer, a 156-pound senior in architecture, also made the trip to Reno. Josh’s only possible opponent didn’t make weight, which left him without anyone to fight during the weekend.

“It was my last chance, so it was really disappointing,” Demmer said.

Though Iowa State didn’t bring back a champion, Dowd was extremely pleased with his boxers’ efforts throughout the season.

“Those two kids represent the university very well. They’re really good and nice young men,” said Dowd.

Led by Knight, the Air Force Academy went on to defeat Navy to win its sixth-straight team national title. Air Force has won the title 18 out of the last 20 years.

Dowd said the academies have a big advantage due to their large programs. The Air Force Academy has about 5,000 athletes in their program compared roughly to about 30 at Iowa State.

This weekend in Des Moines, nine club members — including Demmer — will be boxing at The Golden Gloves tournament. The tournament is mainly for graduating seniors, since students who box at Golden Gloves lose their eligibility to box at the college level the next season.

“Guys who are graduating don’t really worry about it,” Demmer said.

Other boxers including Brett Welling, freshman in chemical engineering, are choosing to go and compete anyway.

“I’m leaning toward going. I want to fight, and it’s been a long time,” Dowd said.

Golden gloves is a big opportunity for many women in the ISU Boxing Club. Collegiate boxing doesn’t allow women to box, but Golden Gloves now does.

“A couple of girls got smart and sued them,” Dowd said.

One of the girls competing this weekend is Kristen Voss, sophomore in genetics-agriculture.

“She’s got a better right hand than most guys do,” Dowd said.

Dowd said Demmer also has a chance to make some noise this weekend.

“I sure hope I can win. I think I can do it,” Demmer said.

This year’s Golden Gloves Tournament is expected to have a couple hundred competitors in Des Moines. Last year, Iowa State missed the team title by one point.

“I don’t know if we’re going to win, but we’ll try like heck,” said Dowd.