IRHA criticizes Campustown riot

Emily Oliver

The Inter-Residence Hall Association has joined the list of student and community organizations supporting the university in its criticism of the April 18 riot in Campustown at the end of Veishea.

IRHA passed a resolution Thursday night stating it supports the university and the community as they work to make Veishea safe in the future. IRHA denounced the violent acts occurring at the riot and recognized the irresponsible behavior of the offenders.

“Veishea isn’t the drinking; it’s the activities and events on campus,” said Michelle Pinkston, director of academic affairs.

Pinkston said IRHA trusts officials at Iowa State to make the right decision about Veishea.

“If they’re thinking about canceling Veishea because of the drinking, then next year students will drink anyway, whether or not Veishea occurs,” she said.

John Shertzer, IRHA adviser, said IRHA represents a large number of students in the residence halls and the voice of IRHA should be strongly considered by those making decisions regarding Veishea.

“It was an unfortunate end to a tremendous Veishea,” he said.

Brian Beery, Wilson Hall representative, said Veishea needs to be reformed, and it’s the university’s responsibility to decide if it can be reformed and how.

“Veishea isn’t about all the partying,” he said. “It’s about students, prospective students and alumni gathering together to celebrate the spirit of our school.”

Kyle Perkins, former IRHA president and current Government of the Student Body senator, said Veishea is the atmosphere, events, parade and people.

“To the university, Veishea is the name for the party,” he said. “Even if they cancel Veishea, the party will still go on.”

This correction was printed on April 27, 2004

Due to an editing error, the April 26 article, “IRHA criticizes Campustown riot” incorrectly identifies Government of the Student Body senator Kyle Perkins as a former Inter-Residence Hall Association president. He is a former president of the Towers Residence Association. The Daily regrets this error.