IRHA to look at charity project for residence halls during Veishea 2004

Emily Oliver

Residence hall students will get to use their creative skills by creating mini-golf holes sponsored by Habitat for Humanity during Veishea if the Inter-Residence Hall Association approves a funding bill.

Brian Reed, special events director for Habitat for Humanity and graduate student in electrical and computer engineering, said residence hall students would design and decorate the mini-golf holes to show pride of their floors.

“The intention is to raise money for Habitat for Humanity and get residence hall students back involved with Veishea,” he said.

IRHA members will vote on whether to allocate $550 to Habitat for Humanity at the 7 p.m. meeting Thursday in the Multipurpose Room of the Union Drive Community Center, said Kenneth Ryerson, Friley Hall president and senior in computer engineering.

“IRHA supports events that are open to all of the residence halls,” he said.

Ryerson said eight groups from the residence halls would be designing golf holes.

The halls involved are Eaton Hall, Friley Hall, Willow Hall, Birch-Welch-Roberts Halls and Helser Hall.

“It’s a fun activity for them to get involved in, and it’s helping out the community through Habitat for Humanity,” he said.

The money would be used to buy supplies needed for the golf holes such as plywood, carpeting, screws and paint, Ryerson said.

Tickets will be sold on campus for $2 for Cy’s Big Top, an event during Veishea when the mini-golf course will be held, Reed said.

Habitat for Humanity will donate 80 percent of the profit to Story County in order to build a house, Reed said.

The other 20 percent will go to the Veishea budget.

“It’s an easy way to get involved with Veishea and a chance to show pride in residence hall floors,” he said.