Top IRHA positions remain uncontested

Emily Oliver

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will vote Thursday to approve a ballot with names of students who are running for executive, association and hall positions for next year.

Drew Larson, Union Drive Association treasurer, and Carl Carlson, director of finance for IRHA, are running uncontested for the president and vice president positions for next year, and 26 other seats are up for grabs.

Elections will be held March 31.

To be considered for an executive position on IRHA, candidates were required to collect 75 signatures from each residence hall association, said Carlson, vice presidential candidate.

Carlson said he feels he can provide the leadership necessary for the position and would communicate effectively while running IRHA meetings.

“I like giving back to the residence halls, and this is just one more way,” he said.

Larson, presidential candidate, said he wants to address issues affecting all residence hall students rather than issues only related to the Department of Residence.

Larson has been the Union Drive Association’s treasurer for a year and a half.

He said involvement has given him beneficial knowledge of finances and valuable parliamentary experience.

Carlson has served on IRHA for two years, he said.

IRHA will be able to help more students in the coming year because of better budget management than in past years, Larson said.

“We have a lot of resources and can get our name out there to support students,” he said.

IRHA has provided many services the past year and could support many smaller-level activities such as KaleidoQuiz and the Veishea mini-golf course, Larson said.

“We need to look more broadly about what our position is and go after [opportunities],” he said.

IRHA has been particular and very narrow about supporting events, he said.

“I think we have an opportunity to expand,” he said.