IRHA to vote on T-shirt funding

Emily Oliver

They’ll be known by their T-shirts.

Students involved with various activities could be identified by their clothing, if the Inter-Residence Hall Association approves two funding bills Thursday.

A move-in crew composed of nearly 275 residence hall students helped incoming freshmen move into their rooms last year, said Ryan King, Larch Hall representative and junior in computer engineering.

Since all residence hall students have to move in, the bills directly affect everyone in the residence halls, he said.

King wrote a bill allocating $2,220 to the Larch Hall account that would be used to purchase T-shirts for the residence hall students who help on the move-in crew.

“It makes it easier to figure out who’s on the moving crews if they’re wearing the same thing,” he said.

In other business Thursday, IRHA will discuss allocating $600 to the Union Drive Association weight and fitness complex account.

The UDA weight and fitness complex is sponsoring a bench press competition for residence hall students to see who can lift the most, said Michelle Pinkston, Helser Hall president and sophomore in graphic design.

Two men and one woman will be given prizes based on the amount of weight they bench press, she said.

This event will be held during Veishea, and the $10 fee to enter the competition will be donated to the United Way foundation, she said.

IRHA members will also consider helping fund a student-professor luncheon to be held this semester.

Charles Goyer, Birch-Welch-Roberts president and junior in political science, said the luncheon would be for students earning a 3.0 GPA or higher. The students could also invite a favorite professor.

The bill would allocate nearly $380 to the academic affairs account, which would be used to pay for the professors’ meals, Goyer said.

The students would use a meal from their meal plans or Dining Dollars to pay for their dinners, he said.

The meal would help students build relationships with professors because many students may not be able to visit with them during their office hours, he said.

A similar bill was brought up a few weeks ago and asked for nearly $1,500 but didn’t pass, Goyer said. That bill also required students participating to have earned a 4.0 GPA, he said.

The IRHA meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Wallace-Wilson conference room.