IRHA to discuss funding party for Knapp Hall’s final farewell

Emily Oliver

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will discuss a funding bill Thursday that would provide money to support a party to commemorate the closing of Knapp Hall.

Dan Becker, Towers Residence Association treasurer, is the author of the bill, “Going Out with Style.” Becker, sophomore in pre-business, said TRA has decided to hold a going away party for the residents of Knapp Hall before the building closes at the end of this semester.

“The reason behind throwing a bash for Knapp Hall is mainly a going-away party of sorts,” he said. “Knapp has been around for over 35 years and the Knapp staff wanted to throw a party for those who live out in Towers and anyone else who felt like showing up.”

The Department of Residence recommended in August the building be closed because of low student return and transfer students. The building was built in 1966 as temporary housing and has never been filled to capacity.

Becker said the party will have a luau theme to create “a warm and festive atmosphere during the cold of winter.”

“This is somewhat of a fitting end for a dorm that’s had such a great atmosphere and level of diversity for years,” he said.

The bill is asking for $1,500 to provide food, to help promote the event and to cover other miscellaneous costs, Becker said.

The going away party will be held Dec. 7, he said.

Eric Peters, IRHA president, said IRHA will also discuss a parliament order for an investigative committee to be formed to look into Free Friday Flicks.

The Free Friday Flicks program has not been reviewed since it began in the late 1990’s, said Peters, junior in sociology.

The committee will look at how much money the program receives every year and how the money is being spent, he said.

Peters said the program was not allotted any money this year because it is still running off the extra money from previous years.

The IRHA meeting is at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Wallace-Wilson conference room.